+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Question for Hans - Hackle Plier manipulation

Default Question for Hans - Hackle Plier manipulation

Hans,

I was recently reviewing your video on the Reversed Hackle Dry Fly. One of the advantages I noticed is that the tier doesn't have to switch hands when creating the collar - this in turn means the hackle pliers (I use the same type you use) are less likely to slip off the feather.

So, I'm tying some up yesterday, it's all good, except that my feather is twisting as I create the collar (like it always does). I notice in you vid that your hackle doesn't twist. It seems that you are somehow rotating the pliers while winding the collar.

What are you doing?

-Steven
    Last edited by Steven; 01-14-2013 at 05:29 AM.

NewTyer 1 Guest

I believe he is rolling the pliers in his fingers as he puts on his hackle

Which way?

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    Hans,

I was recently reviewing your video on the Reversed Hackle Dry Fly. One of the advantages I noticed is that the tier doesn't have to switch hands when creating the collar - this in turn means the hackle pliers (I use the same type you use) are less likely to slip off the feather.

So, I'm tying some up yesterday, it's all good, except that my feather is twisting as I create the collar (like it always does). I notice in you vid that your hackle doesn't twist. It seems that you are somehow rotating the pliers while winding the collar.

What are you doing?

-Steven
    Steven,

There are several ways to use the EZ Pliers - some more successful than others. I would suggest you read this paragraph, and then review the video. Note that 1. the EZ Pliers are kept parallel to the shank, not perpendicular, and 2. I roll the EZ Pliers stem between thumb and finger while wrapping the feather, so the same side faces the hook at all times (just like the same side of the moon faces the earth though its entire revolution).

I hope that helps.

Cheers,
    Hans W
    ===================== You have a Friend in Low Places ======================
    Hans Weilenmann, The Netherlands
    http://www.flytierspage.com
    ================================================== ==============

Quote Originally Posted by Hans Weilenmann View Post
    Steven,

There are several ways to use the EZ Pliers - some more successful than others. I would suggest you read this paragraph, and then review the video. Note that 1. the EZ Pliers are kept parallel to the shank, not perpendicular, and 2. I roll the EZ Pliers stem between thumb and finger while wrapping the feather, so the same side faces the hook at all times (just like the same side of the moon faces the earth though its entire revolution).

I hope that helps.

Cheers,
    Hans W
    Thanks Hans. I'll go back and look.

Hi Steven,

Just to be clear, are you certain that the 'twisting problem' is associated with the pliers or how you manipulate the tool? Or, could it be that the hackle itself has a natural twist? I know for a fact that at least 2 genetic hackle breeders look at 'natural hackle twisting' with extreme prejudice and will destroy any necks that have feathers with this trait.

Allan

Quote Originally Posted by Allan View Post
    Hi Steven,

Just to be clear, are you certain that the 'twisting problem' is associated with the pliers or how you manipulate the tool? Or, could it be that the hackle itself has a natural twist? I know for a fact that at least 2 genetic hackle breeders look at 'natural hackle twisting' with extreme prejudice and will destroy any necks that have feathers with this trait.

Allan
    Purely due to the natural twist that occurs by wrapping - similar to how a thread twists - without switching hands and adjusting. Not a problem with the hackle.

Blog Entries

Steven,
    You might try the hackle pliers made for hackling. Mine have sort of a swivel near the clips which would correct for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Byron haugh View Post
    Steven,
    You might try the hackle pliers made for hackling. Mine have sort of a swivel near the clips which would correct for this.
    I've got a pair of those, as well as some English style ones and one from C&F. I've come to the conclusion that there's no such thing as a decent pair - except maybe a bull dog clamp that you can get if you're some kind of medical professional a la Mike Valla.

+ Reply to Thread