My fly fishing days will come to an end at a gathering of friends in May. I'll keep very basic gear so I can accompany my son when he visits, but no more going out by myself.

I didn't fly fish to catch fish as much as I did to get the serenity that comes from being in a beautiful place focusing for hours on my drift. The trout caught were a bonus. I can't get that serenity anymore as my numb feet leave me constantly worrying about falling and my numb fingers make knot tying frustrating. So it is time to give up the sport.

I had some anger about this at first, but have come to see it in a different light. Fly fishing and tying used to give me relief at a time when I had stress in my life. Now that I am deeply semi-retired, and all my kids and grandkids are doing well, I have very little stress. So I've come to be grateful that I had fly fishing when I really needed it and didn't lose it until the need was slight.

I don't think I'll return to golf. I'll be looking for things that keep my mind active and give me pleasure, while allowing me to sleep as late as I want. I have a lot of alternatives that fit those criteria.