Quote Originally Posted by FishnDave View Post
Anybody have any experience using running lines with shooting heads/poly leaders on single-hand fly rods? Do you get a lot more distance on casts?
Would love to hear your experiences...the good and the bad.
I have a 7 wt. Rio Outbound line that I use for streamer fishing. I think the Rio Outbond line has something like a 37' shooting head followed by a clear poly running line. I have it on an old Abel Big Game #1 reel, which I mostly use on a 9 1/2' Sage XP rod. That combo really handles big streamers with ease. Most of the time, I'm wading (often up to my armpits) and casting 50' or so with no problems. When I say "big streamers" I'm talking a heavily weighted streamer that's 4-5" long. Standing up in the front of my drift boat where I'm higher above the water level, and/or not wading in as deep water, or using smaller or lighter streamers and I'm able to cast that combo well over 60' with ease.

About the only thing I could say negative (and it's really not a negative about that specific line) is that it is not a fast sinking tip line, which can be an advantage in some situations.