Quote Originally Posted by Lew View Post
Hap. The lake trout we catch around here are called "mackinaw". The trout you're holding in the picture appears to be a "dolly varden", unless I'm mistaken.
Dolly's are char, and mackinaw are trout. Don't know about the flavor difference, since I've never eaten a dolly. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I remember, way back, I was wrong once before.
Lew! How could it happen??!!?? Twice you are wrong in one lifetime? I am shocked!

Take a look at the lake trout, Mackinaw, if you insist, and you will see the spots on the back are irregularly shaped, not quite the worm tracks on brookies, but similar. And there are no red spots below the lateral line. A dolly colored up like that would be covered with bright spots all over. That is also a fish caught in early July when a Dolly would be steel blue. Dollies color up in the fall like the one my son is holding in the picture in this post. That is also him holding the lake trout.

They did some rearranging of taxonomy in trouts and salmon since I was in college in the '70s. Lake trout are char and rainbow trout are salmon.

But the bigger question is about my son... Did I abuse him as a child forcing him to catch all those monster fish?

Lew
Absolutely no hard feeings taken or intended.
thanks
art