+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fished the 1 wt. yesterday

Default Fished the 1 wt. yesterday

You might recall that I bought a Sage SLT 1wt and the J. Austin Forbes reel. They are a super fit, a nice balance to them. I went down to the pond yesterday and tossed in a wet fly. Caught a small lmb first cast with the outfit. Caught a mess of bluegills on #16 beadhead midge and a couple more bass. What fun on this sensitive rod - the thing bends beautifully. I cannot get the distance I can with a 3wt, but this rod is pure fun. The rod loads nicely. I found myself targeting rises instead of going for distance. When I tried a #10 wooly bugger things got floppy, so I switched back the the midge, lost it in the weeds and tied on another. Do I recommend a 1 wt? Yes, just do not expect it to replace the 5 wt. The rod is strong and supple and the color is gorgeous. The JAF reel has that satisfying click to it. The fun factor is waaayy up there. I still have a fishy smile on my face. So, now I will be packing this 1 wt, my 3 wt and the 5 wt. Life is good.

I think w/ time you'll be able to get the distance you can cast your three wt.

sounds like you had fun.

mgj

Blog Entries

Swat its all about gardenfish , having fun , you don't always need to catch the biggest fish in the pond to have fun . Although catching the biggest fish in the pond can be fun too. lol

------------------
    Time is the fire that we burn in .
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

I have the 0wt and the 2wt, those flyrods are great! I love mine and it is truly amazing that they will put all of that line out and be strong enough to land nice sized trout quickly. They work great on that flat wild water where the trout spook from the slighest shadow or ripple.

I expect that I will get more distance with practice, but yes the line does alight sweetly on the water. The flies float onto the water stead of plopping. Good stuff.

What ever was going through your mind to tie a #10 Woolley Bugger on a 1wt rod????
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

Ray, force of habit. It was not a pretty sight.

I didn't even catch that Ray . Good God man, that's like putting a hamburger bun on a hot dog. I guess the midge did work better

It was rather like throwing a shotput.

Gardenfish,

That's what it's all about. Having fun.

Sounds like you had a fine time and a nice initiation outting for a new rod.

(had another blizzard yesterday ... roads and schools closed ... only idiots like me did the 200 mile round trip to get to a meeting in the 4x4 ... We are getting CABIN FEVER !! )

------------------
    Christopher Chin
    Jonquiere Quebec
    [url=http://www3.sympatico.ca/chris_chin/:8d700]http://www3.sympatico.ca/chris_chin/[/url:8d700]
    Christopher Chin

+ Reply to Thread