+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Waders: For Year Round Fishing

I fish the dirftless area of SE Minnesota throughout our Jan - Sept season. In the winter our streams run 35-40 degrees. I don't fish in the coldest weather, but I'm frequently out when air temps are 25-30 degrees.

I go with breathable waders -- same waders I use the rest of the year -- but add layers underneath. A pair of thin poly socks and long-johns, then heavier socks, heavier long johns and finally fleece pants.

As others have noted, make sure your boots aren't too tight as this will restrict circulation and make your feet cold. An additional pair of socks may make your feet colder if there isn't room for them, so make sure your boots are sufficiently roomy. I have a pair of wading boots that are a little bigger that I use in the winter. Some of my friends swear by boot foot waders in the winter. I've even fished some small streams with knee high muck boots in the winter.

Common sense, but worth noting, is to wade less. I tend to fish small streams and many of them can be fished from the bank. If I do wade, I try not to get too deep or to stay in one spot too long. If you're waist deep for 30 minutes intently nymphing a deep run or trying to match a midge hatch with numerous fly changes, you'll get cold!

Along with the previous post. Staying warm can be a matter of nutrition and hydration. It is very easy to get dehydrated at altitude, like in Colorado, so drink enough to urinate every couple of hours. Cotton is made to cool, not warm. I understand there are dry socks, like dry suites available but haven't used them; this was a while ago. I have a dry suit that has a top and bottom, much warmer in ice melt than a wet suit. The abovde comment about a the head is right on the money; If the feet are cold cover the head. This is a mountaining idea and doesn't anticipate standing in water but it helps. At times I have worn wind breaker pants next to skin, poly pro treated w/ silicone spray, and a second wind breaker outside. This was for Sea Kayaking conditions where I anticipated being in cold water for a while.
    Regards this helps

+ Reply to Thread