Saying a Montague is a lousy rod is like saying TFO makes lousy rods. Are they the top of the line? No, but they aren't junk, either. Even the Japanese rods sold by the thousands after WWII have a place. Millions of fish were caught with them and millions of memories made with them. There were various grades of rods then just as there are now.

The Montague was a line of blue collar rods that were made to be affordable. Every now and then, they came out with a sweetheart rod that folks still try to find. A Montague in decent condition will give you an inexpensive rod to work with and see if you like bamboo. Just like a Sage should cast nicer than a TFO, A Heddon should be nicer to fish than a Montague, but that should not put anything against either the Montague or TFO. There are lots of Montagues still out there and they are still fair rods.

Now. As for the shorty rods. Yes many of them are made from the tip and mid section from another rod or rods. My absolute favorite small stream rod is a little "scrounge" rod I put together out of the tip from one rod, mid from another, and other pieces parts laying around the shop. I don't think I have $20 in that rod but it sure is fun to fish! That is the object of the whole exercise, isn't it? To have fun?

Of the rods you listed, I would certainly try to snag the Heddon. That could be a screaming deal. The Phillipson would make a nice rod as well. You will learn from any of them.