"It was originally developed by Dave Whitlock to be used as a head cement."
I was unaware that anyone had 'developed' the idea of thinning GOOP to use it as head cement. Just like so many things in fly tying, and I'm sure the same can be said of other hobbies, there are products that individuals use in off-shoot ways that aid them in their hobby. I have no idea who came up with the idea of using electrical thingees (elongated squeezing things found at Radio Shack) or artery clamps for hackle pliers, using a pair of hemostats for a traveling vise, etc., etc., etc. Personally, I had GOOP and it was flexible. I just figured that if I thinned it it would have some good fly tying applications. That was about 15 years ago and it did. John Betts found a material in a Pier One dumpster and it became commercialized with the name 'Zing'. In the 70s I drove a taxi p/t. Had some fly tying stuff with me and when I parked at the airport in wee hours of morning waiting for flight passengers, I attached a hemostat to the steering wheel and used it as a vise. Years later I learned from Jack Gartside that he did the exact same thing. Anyway, all I'm saying is is that many of the things we use or ideas that are applied are probably not new, they may simply be unknown for any number of reasons. Often, it's learned that something thought to be unique, isn't. Also often, once something is public, it is also most certainly improved upon.