+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lazy tenkara fisher

Hybrid View

Karen -

I just disconnect the line / leader and wind it on an empty tippet spool. Those nice little stretchy bands that come on most tippet spools keep the line where you wind it. I thought about sending you a couple with the rod and lines, but they wouldn't fit in the tube and I thought they might get mixed up with the packing if I just stuck them in the box.

Another idea is the "ez keepers" which let you leave the line attached and wound right on the rod. I'd use them, but I don't have a store nearby to buy them, and I really don't like to pay S&H on small, inexpensive items like that.

John
    The fish are always right.

Thanks for the ideas, will try both. Thanks for getting me started, John, I'm going to enjoy this.

NewTyer 1 Guest

Did you spin the line on the holder or roll it. They say you should hold the spool and spin the line on it instead of rolling it on. Or do you not have a line holder. If you use level line, it comes on a line holder. I do like the wooden ones and would love to buy a couple of them.

"ez keepers" work for me, You just have to give the line a stretch before use

[Another idea is the "ez keepers" which let you leave the line attached and wound right on the rod. I'd use them, but I don't have a store nearby to buy them, and I really don't like to pay S&H on small, inexpensive items like that.QUOTE=JohnScott;459437]

John -- A solution to the S&H problem with EZ Keepers is to include a pair with your next order of anything (rods, flies, caps, lines, etc.) from Tenkara Bum; S&H on the EZs will, in effect, be free . ~Paul

Karen -

I just disconnect the line / leader and wind it on an empty tippet spool. Those nice little stretchy bands that come on most tippet spools keep the line where you wind it. I thought about sending you a couple with the rod and lines, but they wouldn't fit in the tube and I thought they might get mixed up with the packing if I just stuck them in the box.

Another idea is the "ez keepers" which let you leave the line attached and wound right on the rod. I'd use them, but I don't have a store nearby to buy them, and I really don't like to pay S&H on small, inexpensive items like that.

John[/QUOTE]

Paul -

Next time you put in an order somewhere that has the ez keepers, get a pair for me. I'll be happy to reimburse you, including normal USPS mailing cost.

John
    The fish are always right.

Okay, John. I often place orders with Chris @ Tenkara Bum, and I'll be happy to help you out with shipping the EZs. I'll need a mail address, but I can get that from you when appropriate. ~Paul

I use a slice of a swimming noodle

tenkaralinewinder3.jpg

You can get a six foot length for a couple of bucks at just about any store, they are easy to cut and work great.
    Last edited by pszy22; 08-18-2012 at 09:37 AM.
    "People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" -
    John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo

http://www.tenkaraflyfish.blogspot.com/

I did a google search recently for "tenkara line spool" and found one pic of a guy that made his own "EZ Keepers" using two big buttons and some elastic cord. Gave it a try and in my mind it works great. The best part: I took/stole/borrowed/pillaged the materials from the wife's sewing room when she wasn't looking. So it was free. That and I ended up making a couple of wooden line spools like some of the other pics I saw. The work great for storing the line between fishing sessions.
    David

Everyone must believe in something, I believe I'll go canoeing. -HDT

Flyfishing is a drug. It's addictive, it can be expensive, not many others will understand it, it is possible to get others hooked, and everyone has a favorite place to get their fix, but there's no hangover in the morning (from the fishing at least).

NewTyer 1 Guest

There is a new product out not like the EZ Keeper but, you start off putting your hook in it and then winding you line and tippet. The hook is held by a magnet and is inside the keeper so you can't snag yourself or anything else. I wish I could remember what it was called

+ Reply to Thread