+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Poll time,what reel do you own and why?

I like traditional style reels and use SA System II reels in the salt and for the most part, medalists in fresh water.

The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

I have a number of reels some as old as the 1930s. Some from as recent as this past year. Almost all of them are click pawl reels. I fish for panfish all the way up to steelhead and salmon using click pawl reels. The reason I like them is they don't break very often and if they do they are simple to fix. Some of the oldest reels I have are still working as well as they did when they were made over eighty years ago and they have been fished that entire time.
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

I have 2 old medalists(solid). An LL Bean(OK). A Scientic Angler(OK). One Ross Rhythym(Had a small problem with the mechanics in silty water but smooth). Three Teton Tiogas(No problems, nice reel). 1 Lamson Konic hands down my best reel. Used exclusively in the surf for fishing the beaches around here. Never had a problem with sand or saltwater dunkings. Great for any fish from 3" perch to 3 foot sharks. Smooth drag and mechanically sound. Only service I've done is once a year lube of the "O" ring and lube the bearings. My next purchase salt or fresh will be a Lamson. After that probably a Teton.

Beaver

I have several Orvis Battenkills, however, my best inland trout reel is a Lamson Litespeed 1.5. If I ever buy another reel it will be a Lamson. IMO the best drag for the money.

I have a number of different reels for Trout - Abel, Lamson, Bauer, Ross, Hardy, Galvin, SA and a few of these which are my favorites...

CL, pre-CL and Freestone...

Simple, smooth, pretty and rugged...

PT/TB
    Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"
    http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

The three I most often use are the Orvis CFO III (click/pawl), the Hardy Featherweight, and the Ross RR3.
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

Thomas, you want some degree of balance. Pull about 5 or 6 feet of flyline thru the tip top and determine if the rod/reel feel comfortable in your hand. If it doesn't, you'll experience fatigue faster than you would otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by dudley View Post
    I like traditional style reels and use SA System II reels in the salt and for the most part, medalists in fresh water.

Very nice collection of Pfluegers!!
    There have never in history been so many opportunities to do so many things that aren't worth doing. - William Gaddis

Quote Originally Posted by dave potts View Post
    I agree with David. I also have a bunch of reels mostly low to moderate priced. Unless you are going after something that is going to tear off 50 yards on your backing, I don't see the need to spend hundreds of dollars on a flyreel.

Dave
    I agree with your agree !
    There have never in history been so many opportunities to do so many things that aren't worth doing. - William Gaddis

I am fortunate to have a large assortment of reels and most have many good points. Go to reels for trout are usually from the Hardy asstd. Love the way they talk to me when the drag is being taken out. When dusk is settling in and a nice brown decides to run and the drag chatters it just seems as if things are right with the world.

+ Reply to Thread