+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Poll time,what reel do you own and why?

I did like galvan esp. the ob series until they quit making them I liked the silent retrieve and soft click drag.Don't know of any other reel with a silent retrieve maybe able super series.The galvan ob3 is a nice reel on a larger weight rod and longer but on myv7 1/2 foot models it is a tad large in width and weight.4.5 oz 1" wide.
    Last edited by Thomas; 07-12-2012 at 12:23 PM.

Western Portal Sequoia National Forest & the G.T.W., Kern River, CA.

Hi Thomas,

Almost all of my freshwater reels are Bauer M through MSL series reels and a couple of LM's, about ten of them. I've got a few odds and ends, Abel, Ross & Orvis for the sweetwater too.

Dave

/
    Last edited by Dave E; 08-12-2012 at 07:15 PM.

2 Older Ross Gunnisons (2 qnd 4) and a Ross Cimarron 1, a Battenkill Mark 4, an old Young Beaudex, a Pflueger Sal-Trout, Fenwick World Class, and a couple of Cabelas and an Albright GP for back-up or loaners.

No need for the latest new and shiny,
    The good older reels take a lickin and keep on tickin

DuFf

I primarily use Ross Evolutions (original ones, not the LT). I like them because they are light and smooth. You can also take up slack line with them very quickly by hitting the side of the spool with your open hand. I also have several Orvis battenkill Barstock reels. I like them a lot too, but they've taken a back seat to the Ross's. There's not a thing wrong with the BBS reels. They look great and have a great drag system, too. I also have a few Orvis CFO reels that I use on my bamboo rods. I used them because of the classic look as well as the classic sound.

Pflueger 1494 American made with 7' 6" boo Payne 100 taper. i also use a Cortland Crown Rimfly reel English made. Wore out several of the plastic click pawl but able to order from Cortland. The reel doesn't seem to be made any more

+1 on Abel Creek - little gems.

The two I use most for trout are an old style, British made, click/pawl, Orvis CFO and a Ross Evolution. The CFO is simple, lightweight and functional. The one sided frame makes spool changes easy. The Evolution is modern, lightweight, large arbor and has a more powerful drag.

For Steelhead I use a Lamsons. The drag is smooth and seems able to stop a freight train.

I have fly reels from a variety of manufacturers. Mostly mid- to low- price point reels. Reels from Pflueger, Albright, Allen, Nautilus, Lamson, Wright & McGill, Echo, Scierra, Loop and Okuma. I have favorites, but I don't recall any of these reels ever failing me in any way...yet.
    Last edited by FishnDave; 07-23-2012 at 02:54 PM.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

I own several of the second generation Lamson Velocity's in the "gunsmoke" finish. Best bang for the buck in a reel I've ever owned. Silky-smooth, tough as nails and have never let me down. I've banged`em on boulders small-stream brookie fishing to dropping them in mud in the smallmouth river and never a problem.
    Mark 1:17

Quote Originally Posted by FishnDave View Post
    I have fly reels from a variety of manufacturers. Mostly mid- to low- price point reels. Reels from Pflueger, Albright, Allen, Nautilus, Lamson, Wright & McGill, Echo, Scierra, Loop. I have favorites, but I don't recall any of these reels ever failing me in any way...yet.
    I agree with David. I also have a bunch of reels mostly low to moderate priced. Unless you are going after something that is going to tear off 50 yards on your backing, I don't see the need to spend hundreds of dollars on a flyreel.

Dave

+ Reply to Thread