+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Separating flies?

Why do you put weights on your fly's?

I use weighted flies to fish lower in the column without having to modify my retreive (I'm a stillwater fisher).

Right now, I have only a floating line and can't spend the money on a sinking line. And I've been told that the sink tips that you loop on to a floating line are a waste of money.

That leaves me with only two options (I know of) to get my fly deeper - slow my retreive, which changes the action, or weight my fly.

Are there other options I'm not aware of, JC ? (Until I can spend the money on a sinking line.)

[This message has been edited by MikeZRed (edited 27 April 2006).]

How 'bout this? Take a tungstun bead, thread it on to the tippet, tie on the fly. The bead doesn't interfere with the casting, gets the fly down where you need it to be, is removable, the fish don't mind, it doesn't cost as much as a sinking tip line, and you don't have to worry if you've weighted the fly or not.

------------------
    Trouts don't live in ugly places
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Thanks, Betty, that's a great idea!

And here's an extra thought, now that you came up with the good idea:

I know, with spinning gear, you get a different action if you put the weight right at the head of the hook vs. a ways back on the line vs. letting it slide free on the line. It seems to reason that you'd get similar differences in action when weighting a fly..

I'll try it a couple ways with different flies and see how the fishies like it.

Thanks for all the responses guys - ya'll are always a huge help!

Guess the only way I know of, to adjust the rate of drop, would be to crimp on a shot. I don't like that 'cuz it messes up the tippett, and doesn't cast as well. The beadhead attatched to the tippett is more like a beadhead fly, or a weighted fly, when you've forgotten to put on a beadhead or weight the fly! Two flies in one!

------------------
    Trouts don't live in ugly places
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

I had a friend of mine show me a technique called "dip and strip". He was using an unweighted leech patern, but would work using a bugger. Cast downstream into a trough of quick moving water. Put the tip of your rod down into the water and on the bottom. Wait until the current takes your line under too and then begin to strip line in. When you feel resistance while stripping tug hard on the line to set the hook, then lift your rod out of the water. This worked very well on the Owens River in Ca. for us. Thanks Jon.

------------------
    He died for me, so I could live for Him.
    He gave His life for me, so I could give mine to Him.
    He became like me, so I could become like Him.

One other way to get a fly down without shot or beads is to nail knot a short section of lead core line to your flyline, then nailknot a short level tippet of 3-5 feet to the end of the lead core, depth and speed of sink can be regulated by length of lead core and it casts pretty much the same as a sink tip line. Lead core is used for deep trolling in some lakes and is readily available at sporting goods stores or if you want some, email me your address and I'll send you some, probably 10 -15 feet would be a great plenty." Tap her light and she'll always be fresh" -------<(*)))><{ Paddy
    "Tap her light and she'll always be fresh"

as a primarlily stillwater fisherperson I use a #22 barrel swivel tied at leaders end...add tippet and fly....the swivel helps get the fly down and also helps keep yer leader straight....much easier to detect gentle hits with a straight leader/tippet....just my method...your milage could vary.. ))

mojo is gonna fish soon as I get this fool fence built

+ Reply to Thread