+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The first cast...

Hybrid View

Reporting live from the upper Manistee... rod fishes great!
    Browns last night at 10:30PM, almost dark. Grayrock
    Rodmakers gathering was outstanding. Thanks for the
    nice cooments.

Grayrock hat and rod June 2012.jpg

A couple of photos from the Grayrock gathering...

Cabin on Manistee.jpg

For those with interest and lots of time on their hands, here's a video tracing the build of this rod...

http://www.youtube.com/my_videos_edi...id=cjCQtw3npus

Bob

Nice meeting you at Grayrock. The rod looks great. The video of the build was really great. Your choice of mentors is questionable at best though.....

By the way, the PMQ is fishing great! I brought 4 other rods with me and I doubt that they will see the light of day.

Keep up the good work and keep in touch

Brad
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

Hey Brad - thanks for the note and it was good to meet you up there, too. As a result of hearing about your rod I was just looking at a PMQ build article this morning. After I get the hang of the hex rod I think I'll build one to compare. I wish I had spent some time examining yours before I left.

Regarding my mentor, Mark - I may have convinced him never to take on an apprentice again!

BTW, the furled leader was a hit on the Manistee that night - worked great.

Bob

As a first rod I only got kind of close to the intended taper of Payne 98 - the tip section wasn't too far off but the butt... well, I've seen butts that are beauts but this one isn't. But then I have learned that's more or less true of most rods built... so here is my rod blank averaged data plotted against a couple of others.

Apparently the over-sized butt section with a substantial increase just below the ferrule is the primary cause of a noticeable ripple in the line on both the back and forward casts. I can toss either a 4 or 5 weight line with it but it does a fantastic job of roll casting with a 5 wt. The bottom line is, it works.

Next up is a Garrison 202E...

Rod no 1 vs P98 and Grnager Victory.jpg

I just got back from 4 days fishing in Colorado with our youngest son, Jon. We fished Cheesman Canyon on the South Platte, the middle St Vrain southwest of Lyons in Peaceful Valley (and now I kind of have an idea of what John Gierach is talking about), the north St Vrain along the Wild Basin Trail just above Allenspark in the RMNP and, best of all, the Colorado River about 15 miles south of its headwaters near the Colorado River Trail (11 miles north of Grand Lake, CO) in the RMNP. Fishing for brook trout along the Colorado River is just so much fun... more fish than you could imagine. Jon tried my bamboo rod for the first time and here is what happened:
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbYpTUJgmd8

+ Reply to Thread