Some years ago I took a friend fly fishing for the first time. At that time his situation wouldn't permit him to engage properly in the sport. Over the intervening years his situation has changed and he has come into the sport. For the last three years I've been fishing with him most weeks during the season. It has been an eye opener for me to see his development. He has none of the hangups I have gained over the years. He would fish your super large indicator fly without a second thought. And look at those who might shy away askance.

Recently he has discovered that a particular wet fly I tied works very well on larger hooks. Normally I would tie it on standard size 10 and 12 wet fly hooks. Now I'm having to tie them on Mustad R90s in size 6 for him, and thats only because the materials used will not tie a larger version.

The only reason I can see for using an indicator, rather than a fly like yours, is if the water had a single fly rule (which is not uncommon here). It is certainly what I do. Though "large" is a relative term. On the rivers I fish it is often a size 10 Humpy. Which is twice the size of most of the flies. That probably equates to your large salmon fly on your waters.
Cheers,
A.