My experience with pirogues is similar to Roger's. When I lived in Louisiana, I got a sweet little cedar pirogue. We used it on our duck lease. I would paddle my teen aged son and myself out to the blind and back. The Lab was not allowed near it for obvious reasons. I would paddle very slowly and carefully and we both hoped no one coughed. The idea of fishing around in the dark for sunken shotguns was not appealing. Then one day it happened. I had let my son in the blind, the dog was in with him and I was just sitting in the pirogue thinking "this ain't so bad after all". No wind, no waves, no current, no nothing. I swear I didn't move a muscle, but one minute I'm sitting there and the next I'm in 4 1/2 feet of water and my kid is laughing his butt off. Someone later stole the pirogue as we chained it to a tree in the brush; I hope it got them, too, only out in the deeper canal. Bottom line--if you intend to stand and cast there are some requirements--a life jacket and a buddy with a video camera.