+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Does lifting a line off the water cause noise that puts down fish?

Hybrid View

I believe trout are effected. Warm water species perhaps not as much but I believe it does put them "on watch" and ready to feed or flee. Silk doesn't make near the commotion as plastic lines of the same weight.

Somebody stick his head in a moving stream or creek and have his buddy start casting.

Some have suggested waiting for the fly line to drift away from the trout before picking it up, but if Lefty is correct, it shouldn't matter how far away the fly line is from the trout because sound travels. Also, I don't think he used the word ripping. Will gently lifting a fly line off the water cause noise? If so, is it a must that we don't pick up until only our leader is on the water?

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by randyflycaster View Post
    Some have suggested waiting for the fly line to drift away from the trout before picking it up, but if Lefty is correct, it shouldn't matter how far away the fly line is from the trout because sound travels. Also, I don't think he used the word ripping. Will gently lifting a fly line off the water cause noise? If so, is it a must that we don't pick up until only our leader is on the water?

Randy
    Whatever sound lifting or ripping the line off the water makes has to compete with any other sound in the system. If there is no competing sound, gently lifting the line will be the only noise the fishies will hear. If there is a natural roar in the system, it will mask the sound of ripping the line off the water.

John
    The fish are always right.

Movement = vibration = sound. There is always some movement even in standing water there are bubbles rising, turtles, crawfish, fish moving around. The sound may be siight but I have to believe there is sound. It goes back to the old question, "If a man says something in the distance and no woman hears him. Is he still wrong?"
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Great points (especially the one about women). I fish a lot of small streams most of my casts are roll casts. I don't see how I can make those casts just having my leader on the water. I need some line on the water to load the fly rod.

Randy

Palm Bay, Florida/Rock River Wyoming, USA

Rather than a warm, cool or cold water fish thing I have found it's across the board for experienced fish, especially. I've seen huge bass, slowly sink out of sight when some unexpected noise, or movement occurs and the same with some huge Northern's during the dog days of late August.. Bigger, wily fish, or fish that have been hunted from above (Ospreys Eagles) react quickly to any undue sound or movement from above especialy. Many saltwater species will take flight at a splashing fly line, or a noisy pickup even when it's off to the side and out of thier sight window. Best to keep things as quiet as possible with as little quick movements as possible.
    Good Fishing,

Chuck S (der Aulte Jaeger)

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved"

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/

+ Reply to Thread