+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fishing is not about catching

Default Fishing is not about catching

I wish I had the ability to be a good writer, unfortunately just a thinker. Unless you are a commercial fisherman, fishing is not about catching as much as it is about everything else involved. I am going to keep this as short as possible and allow follow up threads to do the writing.

If fishing were about catching, we would just put a night crawler or minnow on and go. Nothing to really buy, nothing to talk about, nothing to collect, nothing to build or restore. Where is the fun?

We are a group and I don't mean just fly fisherman/ladies that need something besides "the catch". We need to build or repair rods, collect fly tying materials, collect flys, rods, various lines, look for the most unique places to obtain materials, have fish-ins, tournaments, create flys, be good or great at casting, own boats and just plain spend money.

If you really do a self analysis you will discover that catching is just the bonus "the pot of gold" at the end of the rainbow. The rainbow is just as beautiful from one end to the other.

What is it? Each thing we do, up to the point of the catch spikes the seretonin level. We all have it and we all apparently need it. What would catching be without the previously mentioned, and I just touched on a few of the pre-catch seretonin spikes.

What have you to say?

Steve (Rookie)
    Steve

A person gets a little bit of satisfaction out of a good cast ,or at least I do when I put a fly exactly where I want it.It seems to mean a little more if I make that cast with a rod and fly that one of my sons built for me.I also enjoy the time spent on the water with any of my 3 sons, whether catching or not BUT catching fish does make it more fun.

The whole goal of all of that other stuff is to catch fish. If not, there would be no hooks.

------------------
    My New Year's resolution is to have more fun...even if YOU don't.

True, true silvermallard, but the point is you don't need all of that other stuff to catch fish. Point, why do we do it? Mr. Feel good. Having fun, taking the pre-catch to the absolute limit. And much, much more.

Steve (Rookie)
    Steve

I stand steadfast on the theory that "A bad Day of Fishing is still better than a Good Day of Working". I've often found myself at a loss for words when trying to explain to my significant other that I LOVE to be alone on the river. SureI also love it when she's along for the day, but there's nothing like being by mysekf for the day, and enjoying all that nature has to offer.She gets upset when I leave the phone in the car, siting that I may need it in an emergency, or what if she has an emergency and needs me. Still when I'm by myself, catching or not, there's not much that can ruin my time, and the fish are an awesome bonus, but not really neccessary.

I used to play golf ...a lot!... and was very entheusiastic about it for many years. I was really obsessed about getting better,improving, so I could score lower, win more matches, become club champion or something. After several years it became apparent that I had gotten about as good as I could get within the amount of time my wife, kids, house, vehicles, and job would allow me to get. So then I tried to focus on each shot, and extract satisfaction from just hitting a nice pure shot that sailed true and landed somewhere close to the target. In the end there was still somebody keeping a card somewhere, and I was still shooting 84 and getting my behind whooped most of the time.

That's when I got back into fly fishing and walked away from the golf course where I had been a member for more than 15 years. Well, actually I still go to the golf course once in a while,...there's that pond back there in the 12th tee that has some HUGE bluegill...

What I derive from fly fishing is what I didn't get from golf. Satisfaction at being in a beautiful place, making that pretty much perfect cast, tying a fly that actually looks..nice, and not having somebody keep a card that says they did it better than I did.

Golf is about one thing...shooting the lowest score. The turf-bound equivalent of catching the most fish.

If fly fishing were about catching fish they would make score cards for it. Somebody would set up some kind of handicap system, and rivers and streams would have a slope rating and course par. When that happens I will find some other outdoor adventure to spend my time on...where somebody isn't keeping a card.

Although I understand the premise, I would contend that catching is VERY important to fishing. I've often stated here on FAOL that my concentration is on where I fish as opposed to what I fish with. Where I fish is usually so beautiful that I say the catching isn't important. BUT, just how long would I stay in this beautiful spot beating the waters to a froth if I didn't have a rise or hook-up? "Fishing is beautiful even without catching" is great for prose and poetry but in reality, t'aint quite THAT clear.

Mark

------------------
    I'd rather be in Wyoming!

Can't speak for all of the masses out there, I do a lot of things in my fishing...
    Such as the building of rods,not only because I enjoy it.
    But to lessen the cost of the rods I obtain,same with tying.
    Yes I admit, I Love tying!!...
    But the sole reason for doing it is to save cash!!!...Yes even with all the money spent on material's...
    I still save per fly I produce...

As for why I Fly fish, Simple...
    I catch more fish by this method than I ever had with any other method out there!!! Bar None!...Including Live Bait...been there done that...and I can honestly say the catch rates are twice what I ever had previously with any other way of fishing...

A lot of you say your not catching...and I have a very hard time in believing this...I truly do.
    But, I'd be a liar if I did not say there is very much a Spiritual side to it as well..There definitely is!!!

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

Everyone wants to excel in this sport but at the same time we let traditionalists place restrictions on our tactics, methods, and ideas. I always assumed that fly fishing was a sport that allowed imagination, creation, adaptation, investigation, dedication, education, revelation? : Fox Statler, On Spinners (Not the dainty Dry Fly kind) "Spinner'd Minner Fly"

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill

[This message has been edited by billknepp (edited 16 April 2006).]
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

Its like going to a nice restaurant with your spouse for your anniversary. You wouldn't go if they didn't actually give you the food to eat.

Is it clear now? Catching fish is the reason to go fishing.

And using bait? The second most important thing about fishing is all that stuff you learn, buy and do so you can catch fish, or more of them. And at least for trout, bait is inferior to SOME fly patterns and techniques.

I'm with you billknepp! I catch more fish more consistently fly fishing. And I tie and all that jazz because it helps keep costs down and is fun.

I'm not suggesting the other stuff isn't a big part of the overall enjoyment. But fish for a year or two without catching a fish and see how much fun you're still having. Just get rid of your hooks and give it a whirl. If you prefer building rods, you're a rod-builder, not an angler. If you prefer tying flies, you're a fly tier, not a fly angler. If you prefer building boats, you're a boat builder. But I've never met a fisherman who wouldn't prefer to catch fish.

As for scorecards...nope...don't need them. I never suggested it's about catching the MOST fish or even a LOT of fish. I said it is ultimately all about catching fish. Take away the fish and it's just -ing. I'm not interested in -ing. And I'd bet the majority of y'all aren't either.

I can go pick up trash at the river and still have a great morning on the water and in nature...watching the sunrise, the birds, blah-blah-blah. Why buy all the gear and go to all the trouble to learn so much and carry all this crap around...clean and maintain stuff...etc? I can just pack a lunch, get a couple trash bags, and head for the stream! I even do more good for the world that way.

Nope! Not buying it, fellas! I tell you what...if you don't care about catching fish, next time I come along just give me your spot without a fuss. No big deal. You don't care about catching fish anyway. RIGHT!

------------------
    My New Year's resolution is to have more fun...even if YOU don't.

+ Reply to Thread