Mine looks sorta like Duck's last pic, only less organized. LOL

I would have him (or her) show you the chair they use and figure out the optimum height for the tying surface. I would make that surface very sturdy if possible, with a flat top and bottom and no fancy edge if they will ever be using a clamp vise. The whole thing needs to be solid, not at all wobbly, which to me means wide and deep. I prefer a white (dry erase) board tying surface of a couple square feet (say, 18 deep by 30 wide), so I can see materials, hooks, etc easily, I can write notes on it if needed, and so it will clean up rapidly. Drawers would, in a perfect world, include at least some that will hold a full length saddle without folding, spindling, or mutilating. Drawers should come out all the way, not partway, and have fairly easily grasped knobs. Brass card holders on the drawer fronts, like library card drawers have, would help labeling while allowing changes without damage. Thread racks like in the pics to one side, light mount above the center of the tying surface. Everything reachable from the chair, which limits the size of the thing, but to me, bigger is better, since tying materials increase in volume and complexity with time, regardless of the intent of the tier. No deep nooks and crannies for things to get lost in. Solid hardwood construction, felt lining in the drawers, cedar lining in at least some if I was building it, to keep the bugs out (the hackle drawers, for instance)... Surface smooth for easy care (polyurethane finish).

Would be easier to show you my dream tying bench if I already had it built. *S*