Thread: Question about hooks

Threaded View

Western Portal Sequoia National Forest & the G.T.W., Kern River, CA.

Hey Dave,

For Trout I have used Tiemco almost exclusively for around twenty years. Over the past few years we've tried to find suitable barbless models from other vendors to fill in the gaps that Tiemco didn't have a barbless models for. Since then we've delved into some of the cross over hook models from Saber also.

So it's to the Saber Black Finish Barbless Models where my experience is..
    Straight across comparisons amongst products from various hook companies is sometimes difficult due to varying standards in hook length and gap, styles, wire diameters, etc. from one company to the next.
    Some will say that Saber hooks bend out more readily than Tiemco's but you have to keep in mind what your comparing.
    For Instance Tiemco's 5262 is there 2 XL - 2 X heavy wire, forged, bronze, perfect bend, nymph hook.
    The nearest Saber in a Barbless hook is a 7231, 2 XL - 1X strong, perfect bend, nymph hook.
    In the case of these hooks, for a given size, the Saber hook's wire is lighter in diameter. So under my very unscientific test, yes the Saber bent out with a little less pressure than it took to bend then break the same sized Tiemco. But again, the ( Saber ) wires only 1 X Strong vs. ( Tiemco ) 2 X heavy as stated by both manufacturers.
    The Saber's are seriously sharp hooks, every bit as sharp as either the BL series ( Barbless ) or the SP ( Super Point ) Tiemco's.

Currently I only use the Sabers in sizes 10, 12 & 14. Anything less than those in size, I still use TMC's exclusively. The only Sabers I'm currently using are models 7251 ( Barbless Shrimp & Caddis Pupa hook, similar to the TMC 2487 ). The Saber 7231 ( Perfect Bend, Barbless Nymph, 2 XL - 1 HS ) and Saber 7230 ( Sproat Bend, 1 XL, 1 X Strong - Light version of the TMC 3761 ).

I fish mostly Western Freestone & Tailwater Trout waters with the flies tied on these hooks and our idea of big fish is in 4 to 10 pound range. Since I don't have any qualms about taking those fish on traditional dry flies utilizing standard wire hooks, I haven't had any concerns with these 1 X heavy wire hooks.

Funny thing is, I never sourced these hooks with price in mind, I was just looking for another vendor of barbless hooks. So far so good.

Hope that helps, Dave
    Last edited by Dave E; 01-08-2012 at 03:13 PM.