Quote Originally Posted by hardhat View Post
Hey Kevin,
I like using Spar Urethane for the finish. These are a mixture of Satin and Semigloss. I start out with a thinned mixture and gradually get to a less thinned Spar. I usually have from 8 to 10 hand rubbed coats. Some people sand after each coat but I will do so after two.
That is a lot of work! It gives a nice finish but it's a lot of work. While the insert is still on the lathe and after I have sanded to about 1000 grit, I put a small amount of Boiled Linseed Oil on a soft rag and apply to the spinning insert with just enough pressure to warm things. You will instantly see what the insert will look like finished. With the same cloth, I apply a enough CA glue to cover the insert while it is still spinning again applying enough pressure to warm things. Work that for a few seconds and the gloss will start to pop for you. Keep it going for a few seconds more. Apply another 2 or 3 coats rubbing the CA harder each time. You will get a super hard, high gloss finish in less than 5 minutes. The BLO tones down the plastic look of a CA finish.

This is a BLO/CA finish on lignum vite. It took less than ten minutes to take this from sanded to finished with no extra dry time.