+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bass Worms

I can, and have, thrown a 4 inch soft plastic worm with my 6 weight.

It isn't pretty, but it does cast. It can be effective in shallow water, but it is difficult to set the hook if you texas rig the worm. If you don't have too much cover and can get away with an open hook, it's easier.

I don't do that anymore, though. I prefer to fish with flies that I've tied, and I now have enough confidence in them that I can leave the worms in their bags.

Smaller 'trout' worms, crappie tails, little tubes, things like that aren't a problem to cast with a fly rod. Some of these are only an inch or inch and a half long. I just find them too small for bass fishing under most circumstances, and I have flies that work better anyway. Even a 4 inch worm is a 'small' bait for bass under most conditions, and a 6 inch worm is just too much to chuck with a fly rod unless you like to throw a 9 or 10 weight. Still not pretty, even with a heavy rod.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Yup, Clousers are great for bass (crappies and 'gills too)! Tie 'em all black with red eyes.

Default worm flys

I like these for my area, bass and pickeral seem to like them.
    8-17-2010 009.jpg8-17-2010 003.jpg8-17-2010 001.jpg8-2-09 008.jpg8-2-09 009.jpg
    Last edited by sandfly; 01-01-2012 at 01:14 PM.
    sandfly/bob
    N.J.B.B.A. #2215
    I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
    from the outer edge of nowhere
    fly tying and fishing ghillie..

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy Sanders View Post
    ... a 6 inch worm is just too much to chuck with a fly rod unless you like to throw a 9 or 10 weight.
    That's the same conclusion Tom Nixon came to about forty years ago. He didn't mind using that size rod for bass. More recently, Jack Ellis said the same thing in Bassin' with a Fly Rod. Personally, I'd rather throw a worm with spinning tackle.

Db4D,

Therein lies the rub.

I can catch bass with a worm on a spinning or casting rod. I want to catch bass on my fly rods. Which is what started the whole search for a suitable substitute 'fly' in the first place.

Now I can catch lots of bass on my fly rods. Still caught more at certain times of the year with conventional gear, but that's okay. For me it's not just about catching fish, it's about catching fish how I want to catch them.

Good Luck!

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

I use my 8wt. rod for bass flies including my 10" worms with a tungston cone head. never had a problem casting them. it is a chuck and duck sort of cast with the cone head, but gets the job done.
    sandfly/bob
    N.J.B.B.A. #2215
    I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
    from the outer edge of nowhere
    fly tying and fishing ghillie..

I've done much better with unweighted worms (Senko type) than a Texas-rigged weighted worm......by far! I need to tie up some worms for the fly rod.
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy Sanders View Post
    For me it's not just about catching fish, it's about catching fish how I want to catch them.
    I understand completely.

Check out JigCraft.com and a guy called Pup!!!!!!!! He does some of those that are amazing!!!!!!!!! Here's one thread but there's lots more

http://www.jigcraft.com/jigcraft/sho...d.php?tid=1770

Fatman, those look pretty good! I'm not 100% sure, but it appears Pup furled the tail on his.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

+ Reply to Thread