Micropterus,

First, allow me to preface my comments by stating I have been a fisheries biologist in the Tennessee, Kentucky, and Alabama region for 28 years. In that time, I have had the opportunity to work with the various State agencies in managing fish populations in several warm water impoundments and streams.
One needs to keep in mind the reason behind the implementation of a slot limit. In all cases I am aware of, slot limits are used in an effort to reduce numbers of smaller fish (usually an overabundance) to increase the growth rate of the remaining fish in the population. With increased growth rates, the fish grow into the protected slot more quickly, and in theory at least, grow out of the top end of the slot more quickly than if no management were to occur. If fishing pressure is such that all of the fish that grow out of the top of the slot are quickly harvested, then additional regulations may be called for to remedy this situation. I know of few locations where slot limits, appropriately designated and supported by anglers taking smaller fish, have not been successful. The key to the success of slot limits and other fishing regulations, is the angler adherence to those regulations. Slot limits are one particular instance where harvest of smaller fish can and will enhance the remaining population, if the regulation is properly researched.