Quote Originally Posted by sagefisher View Post
Speaking of breaking rods, a friend of mine is a die hard bamboo rod person. He owns a number of boos, several made by the same person who made one for me. Anyway, my friend was at a show last year and someone was selling bamboo rods. He asked if he could cast one of them. He likes to and can cast a lot of line (he cast 90 feet using my rod and did so easily). So, he stripped out a lot of line and started false casting and broke the rod. The seller supplied him with an other rod, (bad mistake) and my friend also broke that rod when he had a lot of line out. Obviously the seller needs to make a better bamboo rod.

Larry ---sagefisher---
I have only broken two rods. One when I slipped and fell on some rocks. I had not yet learned to sacrifice my body for the rod...
The other one was an Orvis Silver Label 4pc 8wt rod. I was lawn casting it and it broke just above the middle ferrule. The ferrule was tight and the break was about an inch above where the butt section would have reached, so I chalked it up to a manufacturing defect. The rod was replaced without a problem. Defects do happen and it is good to have a good warranty when they do.

Ted