+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: streamer book

It must really be a classic.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigmaster View Post
    Streamer Fly Tying and Fishing by Dr. Joseph Bates is sort of like the Bible on Streamers and Bucktails. Every fly tyer should (and probably does, at least us older ones) have a copy in their bookcase.

My copy was my dads. It is the 1966 First Edition.
    Yup! Excellent and timeless book.
    The only thing about almost all of the newer books is that, 'the more things change, the more they remain the same'.
    If there are any more effective streamer flies (there are some exceptions) it's only because: a)someone is pushing something; b)someone was talked into using something w/o knowing what's already out there; someone has more faith in something they've created; or some other reason. Bottom line is that the streamers in this book cover almost all patterns needed.

Allan

I was able to find a copy of Streamer Fly Tying & Fishing on Amazon for $10. It was listed as "acceptable", by which I hope the dog didn't chew too much of it or do anything else to it. There were others in the $20 category listed as "good". I'm not really so cheap as I want to find out what "acceptable" is...

Quote Originally Posted by billhouk View Post
    I was able to find a copy of Streamer Fly Tying & Fishing on Amazon for $10. It was listed as "acceptable", by which I hope the dog didn't chew too much of it or do anything else to it. There were others in the $20 category listed as "good". I'm not really so cheap as I want to find out what "acceptable" is...
    For anyone interested in this book, you want to look for the 1995 edition. All of the streamer color plates were re-photographed by Michael Radencich and are far better than what was in the older editions. You can still get this one at rock bottom prices if your not in a rush and shop around.

Regards,
    Mark

herefishy,

I would have to say that my favorite type of flies are streamers! I have even fished them with a spinning rod and fly bubble for years. I started tying streamers from the get-go, right along with ants and wet flies. Col. Bates book on streamers is timeless. Along with the patterns, he offers the histories. I reference his book frequently and even got a copy of the newer version. K. Fulshers Thunder Creek series are very effective. If you are looking for more classics, check out Carrie G. Stevens - Maker of Rangeley Favorite Trout and Salmon Flies. I believe that Carrie was the original inventor of the "Thunder Creek" style of tying! Don't think she ever got full credit for it though!!
    Anyway, welcome to the world of streamer tying. There is/was a lot of stuff on streamers in the fly tying section of FAOL - Norman contributed a mountain of streamer patterns and photos to that section! Have fun!!

Best regards, Streamer Dave.

Even though it is geared more towards saltwater "A Perfect Fish" by Ken Abrames is a good read on streamer design and construct.
    Your hooks sharp????

+ Reply to Thread