Quote Originally Posted by vmabuck View Post
Sounds like it was about 1 in a trillion chance of what happened happening.

To me there would be no use owning a dog if every step you took outside of your house you had to leash it or tie it to something. We fish with our dogs all the time and let our dogs play outside with each other at a number of different places and all in semi remote bear country and have never had an incident. We know bears are present and come around at night because we see the prints in the mornings.

I don't think this couple made a mistake it was just a freak incident which rarely if ever happens. We have had black bear break into homes here in NM and kill at least one person for no reason.

I guess their mistake was cooking up some tasty food...?

Yeah it's called taking the responsibility for owning a pet. There is nothing that annoys me more than when I am on the water and someone's pooch is running about, unleashed, uncontrolled, poorly trained and splashing about in the water that I am fishing. I also get annoyed when I am out deer hunting and see some domestic dogs chasing down deer.

Really though comparing Northern N.M. to our are is like comparing apples to oranges. When you live in the east you have smaller counties with higher human populations. Your neighbors are close by, not far away. A sure fire way to get sued is to let your dogs run on my property and cause harm to people, animals or things that are on my property. That is why we have leash laws. When you have that many people living in close proximity to that many bears you take extra precautions because the bears here are sometimes too used to being around humans. Also at this time of the year the bears are putting on weight for their winter sleep so they get a lot more courageous.

That last remark you typed is really out of line. If you want to be a smart@#$ take some advice and do not try it with me. The couple that was killed deserves more respect from you than that too.