+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fly rod length

Default Fly rod length

I am looking to but a new 5 wt rod. I currently have Sage SLT 590-4 which is a medium-fast taper. I want to get another 4 pc, 5 wt rod, but with a fast taper. Since I mainly fish for trout on lakes and wide streams, I am looking at a rod length of 9, 9.5, or 10 feet. Having mostly fished with fly rods that are 9 feet, will I find a noticable difference by going to a 9.5 or 10 foot rod? If so, which of the two length would you recommend and why?
    Trout don't speak Latin.

A faster and longer rod will make it easier for distance casting, but harder for short casts, especially if its a very fast rod. I think a 9 foot rod is long enough, I havent seen too many 10 foot 5 wts. If wind or distance is a problem you might as well get a heavier rod wt.

Ian

Ian,

A faster and longer rod will make it easier for distance casting
    Hmmm... curious whether you are suggesting that a rod longer than 9' (say 9'6" or 10') may increase casting distance over the base length of 9'?

Cheers,
    Hans W

------------------
    === You have a friend in Low Places ===
    http://www.danica.com/flytier
    ===================== You have a Friend in Low Places ======================
    Hans Weilenmann, The Netherlands
    http://www.flytierspage.com
    ================================================== ==============

The only noticeable difference with a rod longer than 9 ft. that I can think of is that your arm will become tired more quickly. I have an old Sage RPL 10' 5 wt. that I haven't used in a long time. I couldn't cast any further, but I did get tired more quickly.

Larry Compton

I'm thinking of a 6# with a fast action to really see any differance.

I fish with a 10ft rod sometimes on the Tongariro, it makes mending at distance much easier but it does not increase my casting distance. The only way to cast further is to increase your line speed and stopping power with any length rod.
    All the best.
    Mike.

Well, we may as well confuse the issue real good.
    Noticeable difference....? Easier to mend line in your moving water? Isn't that what they claim of spey rods?
    We also have the rod Canoeman speaks of. We LOVE it! Seems to pick up more line over the poop we toss in. Though we don't utilize mending very much, the rod seems to do real well when it's tried. We DO NOT get tired tossing it. But then we are often tossing a 10wt all day with big bugs for LM's and stripers.
    ???? lee s. ????

Some of the sales rep I have spoken to have suggested that I consider a 9.5 or 10 foot rod over a 9 since I mainly fish lakes. They have also stated that if I were to fish from a float tube or pontoon boat that fly rods of 9.5 or longer are better suited for sitted fishing.

Not getting a warm fuzzing feeling from their explainations, I thought best to ask here before making a decision.

[This message has been edited by TyroneFly (edited 02 April 2006).]
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Blog Entries

Tyrone,
    My fishing buddy uses a Sage 9.5' 5wt for float tube fishing our favorite lakes in NorCal. I use a Legend Ultra for tubing, it's fast. If you're a Sage fan try casting the XP at San Jose Fly Shop. I sometimes wish for a 6 wt when it's windy although if it's really windy I won't be out in my Fishcat.

I think a question that hasn't been brought up is how do you fish? Float tube? Drift Boat/ Wading river/stream, how deep and wide? Lake or pond? Canoe or Kayak? What are the conditions? Wind? Dry fly or wet? We can go on and on here. All this will help determin how long a rod you want and what will be best for you. IMOHO. For your conditons,my all around rod would be a 8-1/2 7 wt. There will be lots of you with other favorites and idea for sure. But then, thats why we post and ask these questions. Jonezee

[This message has been edited by Jonezee (edited 02 April 2006).]

+ Reply to Thread