Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jesse View Post
... Is that some type polymer, Spectra or some "exotic" material?
Don't know what material is used to make the Extreme tippets. It has the look or feel of a finely braided something, it is black, and it is coated with a waxy feeling substance. When I first saw it a couple years ago, it didn't strike me as a material that would have any application in trout fishing.

Yesterday I field tested the leader furled from the 4X Extreme tippet on my TFO BVK 9' for 5 wt, with a Rio Selective Trout DT5F line. I tipped it with 3X mono to fish an FEB Hopper, and then added a short piece of 5X mono to fish some smaller dries. The leader performed very well, quite similar to the 5X leader described above. It was a bit windier yesterday, and it was obvious that this leader has real advantages in such conditions over the thread leaders I normally use. Well worth the time and money ( at sale prices ) to have this leader.

I thought I would also fish the 3X leader on my 7 wt yesterday, but never got around to it. This leader does seem a bit much - too bulky and heavy in hand - but I still think it will prove a strong performer for it's intended use. Will get out to field test it in the next week or so.

As I suspected, these Extreme tippet leaders do not develop any twist / knots when pulled hard and released suddenly. Also, the material does not stretch, which makes setting it up for furling a bit more demanding than setting up thread for furling, and which makes for leaders with a very positive hook set. The other day I broke off ( 4X mono tippet ) a good size fish on the hook set, which I think was partly due to the fact the leader has no give.

John