Thread: Cabela's Custom Glass Rod

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    Thanks OF.
    In pictures, the color looks almost like a neon green. Is that accurate?
    No, its not. Its actually really quite striking. A nice deep green, with nicely matched wrapping and silver trim.

Truth is, I'm strongly against owning things that have the word Cabela's on it, because I'm that superficial. However, I loved my 7'6" 7/8CGR so much, I recently added the 5'9" 3wt to the list.

I haven't had much of a chance to try the 5'9" due to hurricanes and medical issues, but I've been a huge fan of the 7/8 rod. I toss it with a 7wt line, as I'm not as enthused by it with an 8wt line. You can read me wax poetic on that one here and here, if you're interested. You are warned, there's foul words a'plenty. The rod itself is a real line launcher, believe it or not, but flexes nice and deep. I'm not a proficient caster, but I was able to get the full 70ish feet (est, but its definatly cut short) line out the rod. When a fish takes it, you feel it, but you've got plenty of power to fight them. The little 12" ladyfish were a real blast on the rod, as were the 20" largemouths. This summer I had a few 14" snapper blues on it, as well, which will turn the rod into a complete U, but I wasn't worried about breaking the rod, its got power in it. The cork, however, sucks. Its literally fallign apart under my thumb. I'm not impressed with that.

The 3wt's been lawn cast a few times, and one session on the water. Its willowy, and its way shorter than anything else I've used. Its kinda tough to, but I think I'll get the timing down, considering how little I've fished at all this summer, I'm not surprised I can't adapt to a rod of this distinct feel. I've been using a Sylk 3DT, and I'm not sure how well that line translates to teh rod, I would like to get my hands on a shorter front tapered line, but so it is. It does, however, have a great feel in the hand. It flexes down deep, and its got a dainy little cigar grip, which I like instead of the more usual half-wells or reverse-half-wells. Or whatever the hell its called. You know, the "normal" style. Visually speaking, I like the burled cork butt on the seat though, its a nice little visual touch.

Sliding band seats generally irk me, but I've come to terms with them on little rods. THese are TIGHT. Using an old 1492 with its reel foot is unpossible. I've tried both a Cabela's LSR (a 4 year old model from them) and an Ocean City 35, which is what I'm currently using. Both work on it pretty well, but big reel feet might be an issue.

The only outright complaint I have is the loose tip over butt spigot ferrules. On the big rod, the butt-to-mid link is the weak spot, and I've become used to occasionally reaching up to make sure its tight. On the little one, its the tip to mid, and its a little harder to reach up and cinch down. That is annoying. Very much so.

Thus far, I'm not really so happy with the littlest member of the CGR family as I am the biggest, but I also bought it because it was a great price for a weird little niche rod, and I imagine that this isn't a line Cabela's is going ot keep around forever. I'm not much interested in the middle weights, rods that I think I could be better served by opting for some of the more premium boutique makers, but for stuff I won't use often (5'9") or stuff that'll see abuse (7/8wt's been for schoolie stripers and snook thus far), I'm very happy with them.
    Last edited by gfen; 09-02-2011 at 05:11 PM.