+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wet wading...Yes or No?

I wet wade all the time when the water temps are in the 60's and the air temps are above 70 or so. It is a comfort and a convenience issue for me, so if it makes me uncomfortable I don't do it.

I regularly fish one river near us here in MT that has a few big rattlesnakes, so I wear waders when I fish there even though I'd probably be more comfortable (temperature-wise) wet wading, and there are places on another river that has poison oak, so I wear my waders when I'm fishing there also.

However, I wore just a lightweight pair of wading boots with neoprene socks, and a pair of quick dryiing Patagonia shorts, last Sunday when a friend and I fished a rather remote small stream in the Crazy Mountains, and after walking several miles on an 85 degree afternoon, I can tell you that even with some smal acratches on my lower legs, I was a lot more comfortable than my friend was at the end of the day.

Blog Entries

When I wet-wade, I tend to do it in long pants and wading boots. I had a guy walk up to me on a spring creek in Montana once, shorts and sandals, and ask my WHY I would wear long pants in such hot weather. I said, "Leeches." He replied that there were no leeches in Montana. I reached down, picked up a rock from the creek, and turned it over. He turned sorta green.

I do wet wade, but I don't do the sandal and shorts thing except in a few very select locations. Breathable waders aren't much protection from sharp and pointy things and it just gets so dang hot in the summer...

i wet wade in the summer here in eastern PA, have been all my life only been bite by water snakes two times. i have seen ratter but mostly leave them a lone. the susquehanna i think about going to waders, was out there two weeks ago lots of dead walleyes and catfish going down river dead. fishing the schuylkill river fell off a ten ft 2x8 crossing a feeder stream wader won't help there. back is still all black and blue. went your 75 you don't get up as fast, as we did. i am going to fish the laxawaxen this comeing week and will be wet wadeing cold water is good on back pain. flyman 3

I am in Northern NM and I will always wet wade if possible...

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

I wet wade every chance I get, especially in summer. That's part of the fun. I just wear swim trunks (or cut-offs) and my dive booties, or aqua socks, and hit the water.

Why would anyone want to fish in water so dirty that they have to worry about bacterial infection etc. The only reason I put on waders is because the water is cold enough to move my testicles to my throat if I didn't have the extra layer. Wet Wade? Of course.

Like others CA FF I wet wade during the warm summer months. Most rivers and streams and lakes are clean so it's not an issue. In areas marked with warnings about ticks I won't wet wade. I have been fishing since I was 4 years old so that makes it 48 years in total for me with the past 10 years being 99% devoted fly fishing.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by steck View Post
    Why would anyone want to fish in water so dirty that they have to worry about bacterial infection etc. <snip>
    Because that's what you have available.
    Because you took a little too much microbiology in college.
    etc...

Ed

I wet wade almost exclusively and in late Sept -early Oct in Wyoming. Water temps can be in 50's and I'm ok with that. Rumor/ old wives tale has it that vericose veins can result but I no longer pose for GQ so it's ok.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by steck View Post
    Why would anyone want to fish in water so dirty that they have to worry about bacterial infection etc. The only reason I put on waders is because the water is cold enough to move my testicles to my throat if I didn't have the extra layer. Wet Wade? Of course.
    The bacteria, viruses and microscopic life forms exist naturally and yes you have them as well as those in California. It has nothing to do with how clean the water is. Agricultural runoff is a fact of life in the areas of this nation that have to grow food and raise food animals for the rest of the nation. Cattle will introduce E.Coli and humans will introduce coliform bacteria along with a whole host of nasty viruses. Something you people need to consider is that when you wet wade YOU potentially introduce harmful pathogens to the water. Perhaps a person became ill or their personal hygiene isn't too good.

To answer the question I have been fishing for over 40 years. I used to wet wade until being diagnosed with diabetes. Now I seldom wade at all and never wet wade.

+ Reply to Thread