+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Practical difference between machined reels and cast reels

Thanks, guys! All of this pretty much confirms my suspicions, that cast reels can be as functional in saltwater as machined reels, and are usually a good buy, too. I have ordered a Ross Flyrise 4, and will post a review after I get to use it and see how it works in the salt.

Again, thanks a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by flyguy66 View Post
    today, whether a reel is machined or cast really is no more indicative of the overall quality of the reel than the phrase "high modulus" means that a fly rod is made of superior materials.

the longer you do this stuff...if you're paying attention and eavesdropping frequently...the more you come to realize just how much of the "conventional wisdom" is actually just marketing buzz or commercially driven. It is about catching fishermen more than it is about catching fish.

right on!!! Right on!!!

The quality of casted reel can be on a par with machined reels especially if they are done inside the USA unlike some others country where their metals are particularly softer and with more impurity. You can have a machined reel from China where the metal is not as durable as our USA made reels of the same design nor the near the quality. You can drop a chinese machined reel and bend it really easily while else a casted reel will break off a chunk. As far as finishes wether its painted, lacquered, Anodized or powder coated the anodized finish is best of all looks great to but if not done right or just thin like again other country especially china again its not gonna be good either if their metal is soft because of not using good aluminum with less impurity. This is all done by hardness tester. As long you buy quality reel from USA, Swiss and Germany and maybe a few others but then again I stick to a USA made product just in case you need to have services done otherwise you are SOL with the others.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyFlinger View Post
    Thanks, guys! All of this pretty much confirms my suspicions, that cast reels can be as functional in saltwater as machined reels, and are usually a good buy, too. I have ordered a Ross Flyrise 4, and will post a review after I get to use it and see how it works in the salt.

Again, thanks a lot.
    Good reel as Ross Reels will take care of you if have any issues!

I have a Flyrise I use in the salt with no problem, nice reel.

Being reintroduced to fly fishing and needing to get my self geared up, I became pretty cost conscious at the very beginning. Holy @#$%^!. Was I surprised at the latest technology etc from 40 years ago. I found it interesting you can spend 500.00 at the drop of a tackle box for a fly reel and yet you can go down to Sears and by a washer with a lot of steel, aluminum, porcelain, computers and switches. I know, I know, washer not any fun and won't catch fish. So I looked into many brands and styles of reels. Here's what I chose. I now have two Ross Fly Rise's with extra spools. The store kindly took them apart for me and I discovered drag system pretty much the same as their high end model. High to low the difference was one CNC aluminum and the other machined steel. The machine steel is then powder coated. Only deal is powder coat may chip if you drop. I do some metal fab as hobby and powder coat some things and find it more durable then one thinks. Now there's the reel warranty. I'm told if outside chips I just pay 20.00 and get reel replaced. So, ......................... how good is that. I'm not saying this is for everyone because some of those high enders are really beautiful. For the beginning budget it works out pretty well.

So from the newby in Idaho, hope this helps. I did learn a few things from some of your posts and really appreciate everyone's comments.

Have a great day.....................Idaho Joe

Not all reels made in the Far East are inferior. That adds confusion, too. Sage's reels are made in China, and they're not shabby at all. TFO's reels are made in China, and the new BVK just won best in show at ICAST. The TFO Prism cast reels are deep anodized and very durable. LL Bean sells a reel I'm pretty sure is OEM'd for them by Okuma that is urethane coated. It costs about $30-50, depending on size (going from memory). It has been reviewed by several independent experts as a great value perfectly suitable for all types of fly fishing up through light saltwater duty. The Okuma Cascade is a polymer reel made in the Far East with a very good drag. It simply will not rust and cannot be bent. They things are nearly "bulletproof." They cost under $50. They come in sizes from 3-10wt. Carl Craig is one of the nation's top aerospace engineers. He has run procurement of aviation systems for some of the most critical agencies of the US government. He also owns Fly Fishing Benefactors, and designs his own fly reels which are made to his specifications in China. They are some of the best reels I've ever fished with. I've been trying to convince him to make saltwater reels for the past 3 years, but he's a trout fisherman and just won't bite.

Just like with everything else, there is a right way and a wrong way to go about manufacturing off-shore. There are good Asian manufacturers and bad ones. The trick is to know the difference and how to insure that you get what you pay for. Buying from American companies that will stand behind their products, whether made in the USA or elsewhere, is the key. Ross makes fine reels and I'm glad they're still making them in the USA. So I'm not trying to discourage anyone from buying a Ross reel. But more choices are good for all of us, and there are some other excellent options out there: Lamson, TFO, Sage, LL Bean, Okuma, FFB...just to name some I can personally vouch for.

I believe the Teton Tioga to be the best reel for the money. They are simple and can be serviced with easy to be had parts replacement by a knowledgable fisherman. I got a BPS Gold Cup reel that I realy like and got it new for less than 100 bills but I will gladly take my Ross and Lamson reels anyday tho. Getting a reel from Korea is not the same as China either as Korea is more advanced and have a lot feedbacks from the USA Engineers so I am only talking about the majority coming from China so as not trying dole out confusing. There is a reason the better reels are behind the counter thensticking out on the rack so big difference in quality.

Guys, I have been trying to figure out what kind of reel to buy for a while and bought a cheap one with an unsealed drag just so I could fish. This has been extremely helpful and educational post.

If you can afford a quality machined reel, IMHO, that is what you should buy. I have machined reals that are over 25 years old and they still perform flawlessly. I fish only heavy saltwater and I clean my reels after every use. When I am casting to a Dorado or Tarpon, I do not want to be second guessing my reel. 92Esquire, I think you are dead on....a great response.
    Last edited by pescamexicana; 09-16-2011 at 06:19 PM.

+ Reply to Thread