+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brewing Coffee - Whats Cooking - July 18, 2011

Hybrid View

So, tell me how to brew a great, not good, pot of coffee!

I would appreciate it!
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

Having grown up in North and South Dakota, not that far removed from Minnesota, I quess I also know what makes a good cup of coffee. Now that I reside in Western Washington, I still know what a good cup of coffee is. I find that as I go East the coffee gets weaker. I hate being able to see the bottom of the cup when freshly brewed black coffee is poured into the cup. What makes a good cup of coffee, in my opinion, is JeffW's coffee roasted to the second crack in his homemade popcorn popper/coffee roaster, ground fine the next day, and put under pressure in a good espresso maker. The result is a sippable concoction that is smooth as silk and rich as can be.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

I second that REE

For the home brew breakfast blend before work "good pot o' coffee", regardless of brand, one tablespoon per cup, not mug, but 8 oz, and use COLD water for brewing. It makes a difference! Now i can't disagree with a fine brew of premium/gourmet..that a whole different subject.

Sorry, Steve, but that's one thing that I refuse to drink. I've gone without coffee when Starbuck's was my only choice. VEE, on the other hand, loves the stuff.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Molcsan View Post
    Starbucks!
    There is one big glaring problem with fivebucks; Howard Shultz.
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

Blog Entries

Starbucks Sumatra coffee. The darkest and strongest coffee they have yet is low in acid.

I always have to chuckle when people say no to Starbucks, sorry REE, but they have so many flavors and blends from all over the world that there has to be one you would like. After all, if they didn't make a great cup of coffee they would not still be around with coffee shops all over the world. I always take my own coffee pot and my bag of Starbucks Sumatra with me when I travel. It is one of those things that you don't leave home without. .

Larry ---sagefisher---

Starbuck Sumatra is some good coffee, but so is the Folger's Goumet Dark Roast, and Community Dark Roast. There's a lot of good coffee out there if you put enough coffee in the maker so you can taste it. if I understand the instructions on Starbuck correctly you use about twice as much coffee as everyone else. I'm like REE, don't want my coffee to look like tea. I start off drinking Standard Coffee's "Crescent Club" which had chickory in it when I was around 4 or 5 with plenty of milk (fresh from the barn) and sugar. I remember staying with my grandparents who live just down the dirt road from our house Pap and I would get up while it was still dark out, he would put on a pot of coffee and then go to the barn to feed, milk and whatever needed to be done. When he returned we would sit and drink coffee until my grandmother got up and made breakfast. When I think of it I have many good memories that included a cup of coffee and family or friends.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

NewTyer 1 Guest

Fresh beans from a small villige in Guadamala (that our church missions)fresh roasted the day before, finely ground, put into a great esspresso machine and forced though at 190 degrees with 6oz of steam.

Also, a nice Puapa New Gienie(sorry about the spelling) Kenya AAA or Jamiacan Blue Mountain fresh ground and brewed the same way

This is my coffee. Roasted here in Woodland. Great flavor, low acid (which is the reason I don't drink much straight coffee): www.puroast.com
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

+ Reply to Thread