+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I'm Looking for Seneca Creek info

Default I'm Looking for Seneca Creek info

Hi All,
    I'm heading to Seneca Rocks West Virginia for the weekend. I looked up info on Seneca creek but I'm not sure what the best access is. Some sites talk about walking in on a hiking trail and other sites say the best fishing is above white's run which is on the other end of the creek. Looking at the map it looks like access off whites run Road, but I don't know the area. Thanks for any info.

Alan

Alan

Basically you can fish any place you can get stream access along Seneca Creek and catch fish. The highway coming from Seneca Rocks go right along the creek all the way to Whites Run Rd. I'd say the deciding factor is water conditions. The area from the White's Run Road down stream to the 'Rocks' can be a good, productive area. Especially when water conditions are on the lower side.

Upstream to the last parking area is excellent fishing at times but it again depends on the water conditions. Above the last parking area you'll follow a Forest Service access that is gated off. This is an excellent area to fish and the amount of bushwhacking needed is really minimal but the road does wander way from the creek a bit at times. Take the road all the way up to the first ford and fish down from there. If the water is really good you can hike about 4 miles upstream to the first waterfalls and fish down to the parking area. It's a real all day trip to walk up to the fall and fish back down, but when the water is right it's worth the hike.

With all that being said this stream is not stocked but does have a good population of gone wild Rainbows and native Brook Trout. As I've been lead to believe the Rainbows were stocked back in the '30's. A big fish will be 10" and a trophy is 12". This is s great little creek but please practice catch and release. It's the only way we'll have quality streams like this around. Ausable Wulff's, Adams, and Caddis patterns (size 14 - 16) are a good choice for dry action. If they are nymphing I've had my best luck on Hare's Ears and Black Copper Johns (size 14 - 16).

Good luck, have fun, it's a beautiful area.

Attachment 8567 Attachment 8568

Here's an example of what to expect.

Attachment 8569
    Last edited by alra195; 06-25-2011 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Added Pictures
    Joe Bertolini

Thanks for the great info!!! I spend the day over at Smoke hole. Beautiful day and river, heading to Seneca creek tomorrow. I'm looking forward to fishing and laying my eyes on Seneca Rocks. This is a beautiful area. Thanks Again!!

I do practice catch and release. I fish barbless hooks also, I hate seeing beautiful fish with ripped up jaws from barbs.

+ Reply to Thread