+ Reply to Thread

Thread: While we are on the subject: stripping basket ???

Default While we are on the subject: stripping basket ???

Getting ready for Belize. I have a horrible time tromping on my fly line while on the front of the boat. Saw the thread about stripping baskets. From what I have read from y'all it appears for travel that the collapsable clothes hamper w/ the plywood cutout is best. Is there something like this avaialble commerically? I do not believe I could ever get used to the thing around my waist.

Just Google collapsible hamper and collapsible leaf bucket. You will get a ton of choices. To me, the leaf buckets are generally too large.
    You don't ever want a crisis to go to waste... - Rahm Emanuel

Who is John Galt?

If you are fishing from a boat you don't need a basket. Just bring a minnow seine and spread it over front of the boat to form a stripping apron.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Sea Level Fly Fishing sells an exceptional rigid foam stripping bucket. Weighs about 2lbs. Fill it with your gear and clothes and pack it in a duffel bag. You can get a second bottom to drop in and set on top of the built in cones. When this space is filled with water the thing weighs about 12 lbs and is very stable on the deck. Much more stable than a leaf basket. Also, you put water in the bottom to help keep the line lubricated so it shoots better. Combined with the cones to prevent tangles it leads to significant performance gains. The bucket sides prevent line from blowing around in the wind. Set rod in bucket when running and gunning - ready to pick up rod and cast immediately.

Since I started using these types of buckets a decade ago I rarely fish from a boat without one.

The Pro Trim FlyLine Tamer is another great device but I think the Foam version from Sea Level is superior for the traveling angler with airline weight restrictions.

I have used collapsible hampers and leaf baskets and found the more rigid designs like those from Sea Level and Pro Trim are far superior in function and well worth the extra cost.
    Last edited by tailingloop; 06-09-2011 at 02:57 AM.

5. Default

Google mangrove hip shooter.

+ Reply to Thread