+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Size Question, Streamers for Crappie

Default Size Question, Streamers for Crappie

I am thinking about tying some more streamers for bluegills and crappie. I usually tie no hackle buggers, Clousers using rabbit fur for tailing and winging, and some standard Clousers for those few times when I want to fish a bit deeper.

Normally I tie only relatively small streamers, but have thought that perhaps I should tie a few larger ones for crappies.

The question is "what hook size is the largest size that you actually regularly fish for crappie?" (Not the largest you tie, the largest you regularly fish.)

Thanks and regards,

Gandolf

Gandolf,
    Typically #1 to #12 for crappie, #8 to #12 for gills.
    I have been taught quite a bit this year by some very knowledgable folks. A lot of it is still fermenting! #1 question you have to ask is: what is their natural forage in the water you're fishing at the time you're fishing it? Is it fry and small minnows? Young of year (or bigger) shad? Insect larvae?
    If it's early in the year, and all they have available to eat is young-of-year and bigger shad, you better give em something big! Even when the water's cold, I've seen some impressive results (on the spin fishing side of life) using bigger baits than you'd think to use for early crappie. After fish start spawning and fry emerge, go small when they're eating those.

For bluegills, a #12 black furled tail mohair leech flat smokes 'em 9 times out of 10.

Just ramblings from a fat kid who likes to fish in south-central Kansas! Take it with a grain of salt...
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

Most of my crappie flies are in size 8 to 12.
    Many of them work for both gills and crappie.

Rick

I typically use #8 patterns for crappies.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

My crappie flies are mostly 8s and 6s.

My crappie flies are size 6 and 8's,bream will hit sizes 8-16 best just watch out on those 16's,bream like to swallow those alot!

What everyone else said about the sizes, but I like to tie my streamers on a shorter shank hook. You get some short strikes, yes, but you also don't get the swallowed hooks, either. I've recently found some small circle hooks I really like that seem to be working really well especially for the gills.
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

I tied a chartreuse over white Puglisi style baitfish pattern on a size 6 mustad 37187 stinger hook for bass, and catch more crappie than bass with it. The pattern must be 2 1/2" long.

Wayneb

Crappie have huge mouths relative to their size and will inhale some big food.
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

I know a guy who does very very well vertical jigging 1/4-ounce jigheads with a 3.5" plastic designed for bass fishing. The plastic is easily as big as my thumb. He may not catch a TON of fish, but he catches BIG ones!
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

+ Reply to Thread