I would agree that outsourcing is largely about corporations finding the cheapest source of labor possible, but then in many cases still charging premium prices for goods made overseas.

It's also been my experience that quality declines when goods formerly made in the U.S. are outsourced.

When I buy gear that I need to rely on... say hiking boots or waders or a fly rod... I try to search for stuff that's made by companies that put a premium on quality and craftsmanship. That often means these companies treat their workers fairly and set high standards as to the goods they produce.

For instance, I've had USA-made Buck knives for many years and they've neve failed me. They hold an edge extremely well, IMHO.

I've also had good experiences with St. Croix rods made in the U.S. (I realize they make a couple of their rods overseas now, but the ones I own are American made).

I have a pair of Vasque hiking boots made in the original plant in Italy. They're 15 years old, have about 2,000 miles on them and I've had them resoled twice after wearing the tread down to nothing. The boots are tough as nails and I expect to get another 1,000 miles out of them.

I can't say that for some of the other gear I've bought that fell apart during outdoor trips... like cheaper boots or raingear or the like.

Anyway, to answer the original question, here are a few American manufacturers of fly gear. These are only off the top of my head... there are quite a few U.S. makers out there:

Galvan reels
Teton reels
St. Croix rods (Avid, Ultra)
Wulff fly lines
All kinds of cane rods -- Thramer, McDowell, the new Grangers and LL Beans
Simms waders
Dyna-King vises
Filson (the only Filson thing I have is a hat that's about 10 years old and just getting broken in)
Carhartt -- I have a hooded nylon jacket that I waterproofed with silicon spray and it works great for flyfishing
Leatherman tools -- These are made in Portland but some of the materials are from Canada or Mexico
Kershaw knives
Old Town canoes
Mad River canoes
Mohawk canoes

the list goes on...

------------------
My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it. ~Koos Brandt