+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: etiquette?

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

There's a story that I've heard a number of times about an old shell-backed Yankee surf fisherman who got tired of having his fishing line cut by boaters trolling by his favorite rocky outcrop and molded a six or eight ounce lead Diamond Jig with razor blades embedded all along the sides. He would wait until the boat just passed his position and cast the contraption across the trolling lines at the back of the boat. Rumor had it that he managed to cut every line most of time. He became such a fixture that his friends would identify themselves and ask to take a couple of trolling passes by the defended rock. Others stayed away when he was fishing. Some boaters are enough to make you want to bring back the cannon.
    Last edited by Eight Thumbs; 05-15-2011 at 01:47 AM.

Rainbowchaser,

Like Kaboom1 said - you can't fix stupid - or selfish - or rude. I only ever got truly mad once! I regret that lapse of self control to this day - not that the "gentlemen" didn't need to be straightened out, but that I allowed them to get my goat! Anyway, sorry to hear that you had to suffer those fools!!

Best regards, Dave S.

Watch every Rambo movie! Then, you will know what to do! Wait....Might be a Disney movie I am thinking of. I'll get back to you. I gotta date on the river with my boat. I'm gonna go tease the wade fishermen.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DUB View Post
    Watch every Rambo movie! Then, you will know what to do! Wait....Might be a Disney movie I am thinking of. I'll get back to you. I gotta date on the river with my boat. I'm gonna go tease the wade fishermen.
    Is there a river in Colorado wide enough for a boat AND a fisherman? Let's see.... Parts of the Arkansas, maybe, and the South Platte somewhere east of Greeley, maybe. Besides that, I don't think a boat can get far enough away from a wade fisherman to miss getting whopped wildly about the head and shoulders with a fly rod while the wader pokes holes in the boat with the other hand. The South Platte up west of Bailey is smaller than some of those spring creeks you folks have back east.

On second thought, send them boaters out here in 2 or 3 weeks. We'll put them on the Arkansas at about Buena Vista and then go to the far end of the Royal Gorge and see how many pieces we can find. Maybe we can stretch a net across the river to catch some of their gear before it gets past.

With the snowpack being 130% of normal, it should make for a wild ride once all that snow starts to melt all at once.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Western Portal Sequoia National Forest & the G.T.W., Kern River, CA.

Nowadays I just reel up, smile and wish them well.
    It's like the internet, just nod, smile and be glad you weren't the one that posted it.

Best, Dave

Years ago when my son was about 12 yrs. old we camped on the side of a river on opening day. NJ has one of those no fishing till 8 AM rules so my son went out about 7:30 to a good spot not over his hippers & was waiting for 8AM. A clod came along at about 2 min's to 8 & took up position about 6 feet in front of him in a little deeper water so my son couldn't fish. I guess he didn't realize me & a few buddies were at the camp on the bank. Me & one of my buddies didn't say a word. we just put our boots on & went out into the water & walked up to him one on each side of him. We closed the gap until we were almost touching him. As soon as he complained I brought up what he intentionally did to my son & politely gave him a verbal lesson in stream etiquette & explained what could happen to the rods & waders of someone who has no respect for other peoples rights . He left shortly after that & we resumed our activities.

Nothing sends the idiots running faster than pulling out your camera and start snapping pictures !

Quote Originally Posted by kbproctor View Post
    Is there a river in Colorado wide enough for a boat AND a fisherman? Let's see.... Parts of the Arkansas, maybe, and the South Platte somewhere east of Greeley, maybe. Besides that, I don't think a boat can get far enough away from a wade fisherman to miss getting whopped wildly about the head and shoulders with a fly rod while the wader pokes holes in the boat with the other hand. The South Platte up west of Bailey is smaller than some of those spring creeks you folks have back east.

On second thought, send them boaters out here in 2 or 3 weeks. We'll put them on the Arkansas at about Buena Vista and then go to the far end of the Royal Gorge and see how many pieces we can find. Maybe we can stretch a net across the river to catch some of their gear before it gets past.

With the snowpack being 130% of normal, it should make for a wild ride once all that snow starts to melt all at once.
    I think you are on to something. I only float the Colorado, Gunnison, and Roaring Fork. Tiny little things. The Ark. in Colorado makes em look like irragation ditches.

On a serious note. The lack of respect for one another on our rivers has become a problem, and I really dont know the answer. Confront the bastages? Walk away? Ok the picture taking thing has me scratching my head, but thats nothing new. I am usually a little late on a new procedure. I usually come to some sort of agreement on the first encounter. I let them know what I think of their behavior, and they let me know why I am wrong. I have kicked and hit a few of their dogs, but have never gone to fists with anyone yet. Mind you, I dont go after anyones dog. In every case the dog either threatened me, or thought my butt was a place his nose should be. I dont want this to be a "dog" thread. In my 30 years of fly fishing , I have run into a thousand dogs on the river. "Your" dog and one other are the only ones that were well behaved. Anyhow back to my irragation ditches. I will wave when I go by.

Learn how to throw a baitcaster and start bouncing a 2-ounce casting weight off the side of the boat...
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

Clip the fly off the end of your tippet and do a couple of "false casts" close to the back of their head. That little pop that is made when the end "cracks the whip" will get their attention.
    I know--etiquette is a two way street. But it still makes them go out the way they came in.

George

+ Reply to Thread