Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly Wulff View Post

The top fly in each category was as follows: Dry - Parachute Adams; Streamer - Wooly Bugger; and Nymph - Standard Pheasant Tail.

My question to the forum is, "What is the one fly you would never leave home without to insure you wouldn't get skunked?"
I would agree with two of those choices as long as the PT was unweighted so it could be fished deep with a split shot or as a floating nymph in the early emerger stage.

I would also not choose the standard parachute adams but tie it with a zelon tail. You can bend the hook of a parachute adams and cut off the tail to change it into a passable Klinkhammer. Then cut off part of the post and you get an earlier stage emerger. You can snip off the post and change it into a passable spinner. You can twist the post and hackle a bit off kilter and get a passable stillborn.

It would be contest for the streamer slot. If it were hopper season, I would choose a Muddler Minnow because it can serve as a streamer and it can pass as a hopper on top. As a pure streamer, I'd choose the wooly bugger.