+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alright you armchair entymologists...

Keep using big nasty words like that and you might get your mouth washed out, take care, John.

LadyFisher-

Trav says a Alderfly. Not caddis.
    Trav knows his insects. Most knowledgeable fly fishers would have assumed it was a caddisfly, perhaps one on steroids.
    Last edited by Taxon; 04-16-2011 at 07:55 AM.

3. Default

Definitely an alderfly. The alderfly looks very much like a caddis except it doesn't float. When it falls to the water it sinks and drowns. By the way, I think the word you're looking for is "entomologists". Entomology is the study of insects, etymology is the study of the origins of words. There is no such word as "entymology".

little black stonefly, wing flat on the back stone, wings like a tent caddis.alderfly i think has fuzzy around the back of wings. here in PA we have a black and brown stone that hatch in feb. and march, they climb on snow in water fish love them. we also have a large black stone in june. that stone looks to be big for the little black stone we have here flyman 3

flyman 3....are you saying those wings are flat?

yes.........but as i look at first picture they do look like they are tent like. also they have the fine hair on the ends of the wings. looked at the head saw how long it was went with that. my son came in ask him what it was took a look said black stone.over 4 weeks ago he fished creek black stone were all over water and over the snow. got to stop the bluegrass on the radio. thank you flyman 3

Alderfly,as in the link..... the head is too long for a stone and the wings are wrong for a LBS. what i want to know, were the the fish eating them, that is all that matters
    Please, support Project Healing Waters....Thank You

Alderfly
    Tent Wings, no tails = Alderfly or Caddis.
    Big Thorax = Alderfly

Whatever they are, they are out all over the place around here this time of year and I've found a black elk hair caddis does just fine as far as the fish are concerned.

Preston-- Of course "Entymology" is a word. It's the study of words used to describe bugs
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

+ Reply to Thread