Thread: For those of you that tie in a separate butt section.

Threaded View

Sweirbert and Swiebert or Swiertzer ( I know that I misspelled their names) have dazzled us with nylon leader formulas. All well and good , but I got tired of the idea that they were needed real fast in my early fly casting days. I started with leaders that were a guess-timation of the likes of Al McLane and Charles (don't call me Charlie) Ritz who both would have conceded that the formulas for their design were based on feel and not science. Hence we all followed with the 60-20-20 formula for most contemporary designs.

We catch fish on these leaders which for the most part are designed for the presentation of the dry fly on moving water and we will be forever adjusting the butts, the mid tapers and the tippets to our unending satisfaction in the hope to achieve the ultimate drag free drift. But Ritz and McClane have already given us that part. We have to learn how to CAST and present the fly!

I don't think a leader is so important, just so long as the fly has a drag free drift.
    Last edited by hairwing; 03-26-2011 at 02:26 AM. Reason: clarify a foggy statement
    "As far down the river as he could see, the trout were rising, making circles on the surface of the water, as though it were starting to rain."- E.H., The Big Two Hearted River