+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anvil Apex

Default Anvil Apex

Anyone have any experience with the Anvil Apex? Looks like it would make a decent travel vise.

Wayne
    "I Never Saw A Wild Thing Sorry For Itself, A Bird Will Fall Frozen Dead From A Bough, Without Ever Having Felt Sorry For Itself."

Don't have the Apex, but have the Atlas, its built like a tank, a little heavy for a travel vise, but will hold down to a 32

it's my main tying vise and the one I use for all of my demo tying. Love it.

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

I have one, and I just love it. I believe it's the last vice I will have to buy.

Blog Entries

I have one and I use it to tie down to #22s but it will go even finer. It holds hooks like a tank and I use it to crush all my barbs. My Renzetti is not as good at crushing barbs as the apex but I use it more than the apex because it rotates.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Angry

Oh no! I really didn't want to see this thread MTWFF but I am going to watch closely. I too have been looking at the Anvil Vises and fighting the urge to act.

I did buy at a fly show the Anvil "Quick Snips"; guys if you have ever considered these I recommend them. http://anvilusa.com/Anvil_QuickSnip.htm I am left handed and use them with ease.

But I digress would love to hear some more info, pros and cons on the vises / vices.

Thanks for the post MTWFF

Sean
    Thanks Old Man GO IRISH!

I have one of those vises and several others. I doubt that you are going to find a better vise for the money. After trying mine out, a couple of buddies ordered one right away. They give, at least use to, give you a base and a clamp..........don't know of many mfgs. that do that without gouging you for another $50.00 or so. You won't be disappointed.

Thanks HickoryShad.
    Thanks Old Man GO IRISH!

Like I said in the chat a few nights ago, I've used the anvil atlas, which is the same set of jaws but in a true rotary housing. Solidity (is that a word?) of construction and raw hook holding power are second to none. Like others have mentioned, the Anvil vises are little tanks. My biggest issue with it is the lack of polish/finish. It seemed very 'rough cut', mass produced, etc. If Renzetti is like a Beretta shotgun, and Regal is a dependable deer rifle, and dyna-king is an AR-15...well then Anvil is your AK-47. Nothing pretty, fancy, or even terribly well-finished, but it'll do the job and take a beating without much of any loss in performance.

+ Reply to Thread