+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Going out west

Thanks for all of the information. Bringing both rods crossed my mind, but our vehicle is usually packed tight when we go on vacations and i only have one rod tube. I am working on getting another tube so i could bring both. My favorite fly to fish is a para adams, but i have more confidence in HEN's.

So... Para Adams is a great fly. It will slay them in Yellowstone country. Tie some up in #18 to #12 and knock 'em dead.

What's a HEN's ?
    "As far down the river as he could see, the trout were rising, making circles on the surface of the water, as though it were starting to rain."- E.H., The Big Two Hearted River

Oh..duh..., hare's ear nymph. Yes, nobody will argue with that one! #18 to #8. Get tying!
    "As far down the river as he could see, the trout were rising, making circles on the surface of the water, as though it were starting to rain."- E.H., The Big Two Hearted River

The Yellowstone River downstream of Gardner could start fishing in early to mid July, and it can be especially good once it just begins to clear after the runoff. Check with the locals if you happen to be in that area then, because that can be some of the best fishing of the year there if you hit it right. You can find the fish right along the edges, and in addition to the flies already mentioned, a large black conehead crystal bugger (or similar) is a good imitation for the salmon flies that should be coming off then. I am never on the water in Yellowstone country without an ample supply of Parachute Adams, and my personal favorite is a #16. (I fish practically every day, somewhere in that region from mid-May to early October.)

Your 6 wt will be all you really need.

Like some have said....you will have few options for fishing in mid June. The reason is it's snow melt run off time and cutthroat spawning time. Be sure to read the regulations carefully before you go. Mid July or later is much better if you can hold your trip off.

On a different note...be absolutely sure you carry bear spray 24/7...especially if you are hiking into the back country...and don't go alone. Go in groups. I decided NOT to fish a lot of water because I didn't have company and saw just too much bear activity. Also keep bison, moose and elk at a safe distance. They drove me off of a lot of places. My only real comfortable uninterrupted fishing took place on still water situations where I could take my float tube.

In most cases, you'll be fishing nymphs and streamers. But a #16 Adams (parachute) works well everywhere out there, as a general dry fly pattern. Your best bet is to hit the shops in the area and talk with them before heading out...and buy a few flies in exchange for their time. Fishing inside Yellowstone NP is your most economical fishing. Outside of YNP you'll need a Wyoming (can get expensive in Grand Tetons) or Montana license. Do a lot of homework before heading out.

I'll be starting to make my way out there again in mid July.
    Last edited by Mato Kuwapi; 02-22-2011 at 09:52 PM.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh

"Catch and Release,...like Corrections Canada" ~ Rick Mercer

You're a brave soul, Deb, hope your summer is less eventful than last year.

You know, if you were able to put your trip off for a few weeks, you could join us for the Montana Fish-in...just a thought.

TT

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hairwing View Post
    cd,

...and where exactly did the name Grand Teton come from anyway? I know, but I know your young mind might get a kick out of the answer.

CLUE: It's French and Google has a translator.

That didn't translate it... What a rip.
    Last edited by kbproctor; 02-23-2011 at 04:34 AM.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Here's a link to a great website that has up-to-date reports in the summertime. Most of it involves the west side of the Tetons, but it covers some Park waters as well. If you like dry fly fishing, I've always enjoyed the Teton River, in Teton Basin, on the west side at that time of year. PMD's should be going strong about then, and it's very wadeable.
    http://jimmysflyshop.com/
    They're just fish, right? Right?

Palm Bay, Florida/Rock River Wyoming, USA

http://www.montanasbestflyfishing.co...ntana-trip.htm scroll down to look at rod suggestions and then bring both. Big river, big sky and big wind along with big fish and big flies at time make a 7 or 8 wt just right! I find I can pack two rods to a tube fitting them in side by side.
    Good Fishing,

Chuck S (der Aulte Jaeger)

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved"

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/

+ Reply to Thread