+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dick Talleur passed away

Normand Guest

Default Dick Talleur passed away

from the interweb

Just received word that longtime contributor Dick Talleur passed away last night from congestive heart failure. We will all miss him very much.--Dave K.

Sad news. So many of the excellent "older" tiers, fishers, and authors have left us recently. Dick will be missed, but has left a large body of excellent work.

Chuck

Blog Entries

That is very sad news. Dick was truly one of the finest contributors to our sport and a fine gentleman

This is very sad. I wrote him a letter years ago when I was just starting to try and tie flies. He wrote back a very nice and very LONG letter! He was truly a kind gentleman.
    "some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God." Tony Blake

Many millions of years ago I happened on a copy of Fly Fishing for Trout, A Guide for Adult Beginners by Dick Talleur and it quickly became my bible and probably had the biggest influence on me as a beginner and where I wanted to end up as a fly fisherman. I constantly went to that book for guidance in my formative years. Later on I sent that book to Dick and he inscribed for me. Sadly, I lost that copy or lent it to someone but in any case it was MIA.

So later on I bought another copy and had the pleasure of meeting Dick at Somerset, (the ONLY reason I went there) and had him to inscribe my NEW copy.

I'll miss his knowledge and contributions but I'll never forget his influence on me.

Sorry to hear. He was a great influence on many fly tyers over the years....myself included.

Prayers go out to his family. Best Regards....
    Exploring the waters of western Montana...

Sad news. My very first fly tying book was Fly Tyer's Primer by Dick Talleur. I emailed him a couple years back asking if he ever gets to the west coast to do some shows. We corresponded a few times since. A real fine gentlemen.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Damn. I hate to hear that. I'm not much of a tier, but what skills I do have can largely be attributed to his straight-forward, no-nonsense books. Thanks, Mister Talleur. My next glass will tip for you.
    Much can be learned from a river. ~Hesse (Siddartha)

+ Reply to Thread