+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Colleges and Fly Fishing

As a Stanford alum, I can tell you that you will have little time for fishing if you attend a top engineering school. With a degree from an elite university program you will have your choice of places to work that have the best fishing. Plus that degree gives you entry to a top job that pays you enough so that you afford to fish in places than most folks dream of.

Go to the very best school you can. Any other choice is cheating yourself.

http://www.usnews.com/education/worl...eering-and-it-

http://whichuniversitybest.blogspot....rank-2010.html
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

There's always the natural resources and wildlife technician program at Garrett college, right in western MD.
    http://www.garrettcollege.edu/academics/NRWT/

Traverse City, Michigan, was rated in the top ten places to live for fly anglers... so I did a Google search for schools in the area...
    http://www.google.ca/search?q=collag...dab5224919fe8e
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh

"Catch and Release,...like Corrections Canada" ~ Rick Mercer

You might also think about region. Most schools have regional networks that will help you gain employment when you are done. This is less an issue with the elite schools with national networks, but if you aren't looking at the ivies, MIT, Stanford, etc, then you may want to consider where you want to wind up. You need to set yourself up to be successful, so you probably don't want to do a job search hundreds of miles from your school.

Maine, Now I've retired to North Carolina (just south of Fayetteville)

drew94;
    I have been following this thread, and I have people in college. I am in the camp of, go to the best school you can. NONE of us is able to fish as much as we would like !!! LOL LOL GET OVER IT !! Think of your future at times like we are in presently. OK off the soap box.

Good luck in any decision you make.

Why fool around with trout when ya' can come to Louisiana, catch reds in the marsh, eat the best food in the world, and spend Saturdays nights cheering in Death Valley...

Tons of freshwater fishing, the most marsh in the country... all of it is full of reds, and untold areas of coastal and blue water fishing... Oh, and we fish year round... No "off" season...

Besides, the girls are appropriately dressed for the weather, and it'll be 70 today...

How are the girls dressed TODAY at all these other schools??? HA!

GEAUX Tigers!
    Last edited by bowfin47; 02-14-2011 at 01:50 PM.

nighthawk Guest

I hear a lot of universities here but what is wrong with the private schools? The rankings given here are for universities but many of the private schools are ranked much higher when it comes to quality of education, school environment and high dollar job placement. Of course many of these institutes do not accept federal or state funding but they do give out scholarships based upon your scores and they have alternate means of financing your tuition.

The little town I grew up in is one such college and it is always ranked in the top 5 nationaly, several times as #1 for academics. Check them out here:

http://www.gcc.edu/

A stocked trout stream flows right through the campus too.

Gee, Nighthawk, I forgot about Grove City... great fishing. I just thought of Penn State first, since you can fish and take fly fishing as a course. For years it was taught by a guy who holds all kind of flyfishing records- http://www.joehumphreysflyfishing.com/bio.htm

as far as majors go, drop the bio, no money in it, and focus on engineering, big bucks. unless you have a car you will not do much fishing unless the river runs through campus, so that eliminates a lot of schools. plus your there for an education and socializing during off hours. so if you need a ride to fish you will do little fishing. focus on academics and then pick where you want to live later. now if you can find a good school near fishing great but that's low on the list. however penn st is ranked very high in the list of engineering schools.

Quote Originally Posted by rizeye View Post
    as far as majors go, drop the bio, no money in it, and focus on engineering, big bucks.
    If I can disagree, I would combine the bio and engineering. As a leading edge baby boomer we are going to need all the help we can get before long and I'm doing better than most guys my age. Ga Tech has a great bio-engineering program, didn't you know the 6 million dollar man was prophetic?

I know at least one old man who would pick him up at the north end of the MARTA line, loan him a float tube and take him to the Hooch or a local lake.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

+ Reply to Thread