Kerry,

I agree. Folks around here that you would expect to know what they are doing do not appear to. I am also aware that my statements do sound a lot like those of folks who really would not be able to get around if the going really gets tough.

I take driving in the snow seriously. I have been the first on an accident scene where people had to be pried out of cars and had a little boy I had worked over an hour to get out of a pickup with a local tow truck driver die in my hands. I know how easy it is to lose control. I also know that I need certain equipment to drive in Colorado in the winter. Good tires are a must. I replace mine when 25% of the tread is left. On my wife's car, they get replaced at 50%. I found it incredible that I got 70,000 miles out of my last set of Michelin M&S truck tires. I won't buy anything else. My truck is prepared to drive in the snow. I put weight over the rear wheels. Sand tubes from Home Depot work great. If I get on an icy hill. I can use the sand for added traction. On top of that, the sheer number of miles of driving mountain roads in the winter in everything from a car to an 18 wheeler, I estimate this at about 750k miles spread over 44 years, I've just plain got more experience at it. It's like anything else, the more you do it, the better you get at it.