+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Orvis Impregnated Madison

Default Orvis Impregnated Madison

A gentleman is trying to sell me an Orvis Madison Impregnated rod.It is 9 foot 2 piece with 1 tip.8 weight.Looks brand new in sock with Orvis aluminum tube.Wants 300 dollars.Is this about right?I have never owned a bamboo and know nothing about them.Any help would be appreciated.

For what it's worth, there is one on ebay right now with a buy now price of $625. That one has a real nice leather tube though. If you like the rod in question, and you are willing to pay the price, then that makes it worth $300.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Being a Madison and one tip, I would definitely say yes to $300.00 if it is indeed the condition you state.

Should be a great heavy trout or largemouth rod.

Have you been able to cast the rod or have a return privilege?
    Never having owned a bamboo rod it might not suit your style.
    Last edited by bobbyg; 01-04-2011 at 09:31 PM.
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

Thumbs up

I believe all Madison's were single tip rods, if it is like new they sell for around $400.00 and up.That is a good price. From the serial #'s Orvis would tell you when it was bought, and by who.
    Wes.

FWIW - Orvis will make you an extra tip for a reasonable price if you want one.

I picked up a 6'6" 4wt 2/1 Madison about a year and a half ago, and yes, the Madisons were 1-tippers unless the buyer requested and paid for a second tip. Mine throws a DT3 and a WF4 about equally well, and let me tell ya it's a h3ll of a sweet stick in the SNP. $300 is a steal if the 8wt is a rod you want in your quiver, then go for it. Chances are it is likely overrated, i.e. it's probably more suited to a DT6 or WF7.

Mine is 57233 and was manufactured in LATE December of 1969.

Marty

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboozle View Post
    FWIW - Orvis will make you an extra tip for a reasonable price if you want one.
    a new Madison tip is about $375.00

Blog Entries

My first thought when I read the title to this thread is Orvis ought to marry Madison!!

If it is in as good as shape as you say it is......$300 is a good deal.

It's long (9ft) and an 8wt. So that makes it a little less desirable on the present market.
    Most people are looking for shorter rods in the 4wt to 6wt range.

But if that rod fits your wants and/or needs, I'd buy it.

Terry:
    Through much of its existence Orvis made two qualities of rods. The Battenkill was their higher quality rod and the Madison was their lower quality. There was very little difference in build but the Madison was stock with one tip and the Battenkill with two. The Battenkill bamboo was also selected for having fewer flaws – none of which affected the quality of the final rod. The differences were mainly marketing and would not likely affect the fishing or even esthetic quality of the rod.

You do, however, need to be aware that most people would not find this rod very pleasant to fish for long periods. Nine foot bamboo rods – particularly ones built for 7 or 8 wt lines – tend to be heavy. For most of us too heavy to fish for more than an hour or two. So unless you have Popeye forearms, just be aware that you would be swinging some heavy timber with a rod like this. That said, this is a nice piece of workmanship and you would be getting it at a fair price (more important in resale then in your personal enjoyment). But if you find it is just too heavy for regular use, don’t give up on bamboo. Instead try something under 8’ long that handles a 4 or 5 wt line.

David

+ Reply to Thread