When I was a kid I learned about the turle knot. Scuttlebutt had it that the knot made economical use of the end of the tippet. The knot was said to be easy to untie, saving from nipping away the end of the tippet at each fly change and prolonging the length of the leader.
Imagine today's angler going through that trouble to eventually save inches of waste from his tippet. Not gonna happen.

A mentor of mine used to untie the knot from his fly, saving those precious few inches of nylon. I would just grin at this vintage habit he got used to. I don't think he even owned a pair of nippers. He died in '76 and would have prolly been the same age as Arnold Richardson. He was an expert's expert fly fisherman.

I fumbled with the knot and even tried a variation written about by Swisher and Richards in which the knot was pulled tight in front of the eye. I finally gave up on the turle and went back and today use the clinch knot. I even have a pair of nippers! Although I use them and sometimes feel a sense of guilt when I lop off my tippet to regain the 6 inches I lost changing flies.

Come to think of it the Old Timers prolly untied their clinch knots to. Guess I'm more modern that I think I am sometimes.