... these days. I'm sure that a number of the makes listed by Normand would offer a good waterproof camera.

But Olympus and Pentax pretty much lead the way, and Olympus was first with the shockproof and freezeproof features. Having said that, Pentax has caught up with Olympus offering the same features, with some variation in the specs, particularly in the depth for waterproof and the drop distance for shockproof. Don't know if the other makes suggested by Normand can compete on that level.

I've used an Olympus 850SW for over two and a half years. I've been very pleased with it in all regards. Olympus has moved on from that version, and has several newer models, some of which may produce better images and / or be easier to use. How easy a particular camera is for you to use is certainly a factor in which make you choose.

Before I got the Olympus, I checked out the Pentax Optio, back when it was an Optio10 or Optio 30. No question that Pentax makes a great camera, but for me, the functions were not as intuitive and that older model didn't have the shockproof / freezeproof features that were important to me.

If you want to see what an older Olympus will do, got back on the Fishing Reports Forum and find the continuing fishing report threads I put up from early '08 through mid '10. There are probably 1500 plus pix taken with the Olympus 850SW posted in those threads, from long range scenery shots to arms length fish pix to macros of flies, both naturals and tied.

As much as I like the Olympus, I will say that if I were looking for a new camera today, I would seriously consider the current Pentax waterproof / shockproof / freezeproof model. More than anything, that is a tribute to BB members mgliss and kglissmeyer. The pix they get with their Pentax are really good. Good enough for a really brand loyal person like me to consider making a change when the time comes to get a new camera.

If you want to see what a Pentax will do, go to the Fishing Reports Forum and look up kglissmeyer's "Dad and the Kid" continuing fishing reports threads for '09 and '10. I'm pretty sure that all the pix there were taken with a Pentax, whether taken by Kelly or Mike.

John