Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMoose View Post
... I've never seen a video of such sloppy roll casting in my life. ...
... and here I was thinking he was doing a pretty decent job, having only my own roll cast to compare it to, of course.

John

P.S. The video version strikes me as more of a spey style "touch and go" roll cast than a "traditional" single hand rod roll cast.

For those who might be interested, when casting shorter distances, and particularly with a slower action single hand rod, it is possible to eliminate the "touch and go" ( or water anchor ) and form the D Loop with all the line in the air and then power forward just about the time the fly gets even with you. You can't get as much distance with this technique because you don't load the rod as well, but you can get reasonable accuracy and you can do a change of direction, within reason. I started doing this on smaller creeks where there was little room for a backcast and where distance wasn't a factor and I didn't want to disturb the water as much as my roll cast does.

NOW I'm gonna find out all of you have been doing this modified "air anchor" roll cast for years.