Thread: Is it worth buying? how do you know?

Threaded View

Katy, Texas (Houston is our biggest suburb!)
    Blog Entries

nighthawk again makes some very good points for your consideration.

At the moment, there are two of the higher quality H-I models listed on fleabay. One is a 3 piece "President", the lowest in their high end 9ft rods; and the other a "Princess", their high end 2 piece rod, and it is only 7 1/2 ft long. There is also a Wright & McGill rod listed, the only major draw back to which is that it is 9 1/2 ft long. Current bids on all are under $50.00. Wright & McGill is a highly respected make, and is the successor to Goodwin Granger; perhaps the best known of the Rock Mountain area mass builders.

One thing to pay particular attention to on the mid-lower range H-I rods is the cork handle. They used some of the poorest quality cork I have ever seen on some of these rods. Especially when they used 1" thick rings. Of their rods I have seen, their 1/2" ring handles have all been of much better quality.

On the bright side of all of my negative comments; if you are interested in ever building your own bamboo rod, this may be a real bargain even if it needs some fixing up, as it is not too expensive to use as a learner. I have dreams of building my own, and have a good start. I absolutely do not regret the money and time I have spent on 'fixer uppers' over the past 3 year, as I have gained a tremendous amount of insight into the nuances of working with bamboo; plus, I have some nice "old" bamboo rods for my sons and grandsons.

I have only had one 'bad' experience buying bamboo rods 'sight unseen'. It turned out to be a Japanese WW II knockoff of a very popular Heddon model, that to this day commands mid-high three-figure prices on the open auction market, and very high three to low four figure prices from a vintage tackle dealer. As they say, the price was too good to be true!!! With it's shortcomings, it will still be a nice little rod when I get through with it.

See if you can get the seller to send you more, and better detailed, photos. If he is reluctant to do so, I would say "RUN"! If he consents, post them here so we can do a better job of evaluating it for you.

Let us not forget that it is your money and your decision to make.

Keep us posted.

agedsage
    Last edited by aged_sage; 12-02-2010 at 09:45 PM.