I assume you intend to fish the Elk River, which is the tailwater coming from the dam on Tim's Ford Lake, for trout? If you are you need to make sure to check the generation schedule. The Elk below the dam is not fishable if they are generating and they are trying to lower Tim's Ford Lake for the winter pool. If you are coming during the weekend, they do tend to not generate during the weekend, but, will generate during the week. Sometimes they will not generate on Friday. The fishing is usually pretty good and this time of the year, there is not much going for the fish except for midges. There is a good bit of wadeable water and it can get crowded during the weekends. Now that hunting season is going on, it is somewhat better.

If you could let me know when you plan to make the trip, I could try and meet you and would be happy to show you what I know about the Elk River. We also have the Duck River to trout fish and it is fishing fairly well right now. The Duck River is the tailwater below Normandy Lake. There is no generator but they are trying to lower the lake for winter pool and any release over 300cfs is not very safe wading. If the Elk is running too much water to wade, we can try the Duck.

I have fished both of these rivers for many years and have enjoyed them very much. I have never fished below Norris and do not know if it is comparable.